Question Am I wrong to not want a modern computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How old is your car? Would you rather drive a 20 year old car, or a new one with new software, safety features, and up to date capabilities, etc. but refuse to get a new one simply because the old one hasn't broken down yet? You don't have to get "fancy", but to me the modern tech is worth having over what "might" go wrong.....which is nearly nothing. And if it does, those same software issues can actually make it easier to fix. And besides, reputable companies have excellent warranties in the off chance you get a lemon.
I still prefer my 20 year old Vyper and enjoy diving with it like the first time. New computers I try a few dives (with old vyper.on wrist too) and then decide to pass them to wife, kids.

I am debating whether the analogy to new cars is good. Safety-wise, as I am a geek that compared various computers, analysed the logged profiles- and compared them with Matlab simulations of Haldane, Buhlmann, VPN and RGBM models, I find nothing wrong with the Vyper. It has indicators for ascent rate and cns, various types of alarms that ine can set and so on. As to "features" it lacks wireless data transfer and needs dedicated cable (which as a geek it was fun to DIY), it doesn't have an oled screen and you can't play tetris in it. On the other hand, the battery lasts for a loooong time and the darn thing is reliable you don't have to send it several times because of battery drain isssuelike some fancy computers that are mentiovery often here. In general, I have trust issues with rechargeable devices because battery life in whatever devices I have even owned never were en par with the claimed specs: be it countless of smartphones I owned, hybrid and electric vehicles, laptops or whatever. All of them have declined battery life very fast.

Ans as much as I love all these new fancy devices with all these features- really- for diving I dont want a fancy smartphone, I want a reliable device. If I want to play there is the surface intervals for that.

How old is your car? Would you rather drive a 20 year old car, or a new one with new software, safety features, and up to date capabilities, etc. but refuse to get a new one simply because the old one hasn't broken down yet? You don't have to get "fancy", but to me the modern tech is worth having over what "might" go wrong.....which is nearly nothing. And if it does, those same software issues can actually make it easier to fix. And besides, reputable companies have excellent warranties in the off chance you get a lemon.
Funny you should use cars as an analogy… The ECM just went out on my “new” car, so I’ve been driving my 1947 Dodge truck.

One rather common reason for recreational divers to have a backup computer is for obvious reasons: you go into this 2 week galapagos liveaboard, and after the second day while you are donning the wetsuit you put the computer on the bench and the diver near you just sits down with full gear and the bottom of his tank meets with your computer. In this situation (been there done that) your computer is usually the one that breaks up. Now, you are computerless and supposed to wait 24 hours and switch to tables. Now if it was a regular diving back home I wouldn't care, but worked hard to set the galapagos trip is something completely different.

And for such purposes it makes sense for the backup conputer to be similar to the primary computer rather than having two different kinds of computers.

Use something cheap reliable, and where you can change batteries cheaply. Having 2 cheap Suunto models is probably enough.

Funny you should use cars as an analogy… The ECM just went out on my “new” car, so I’ve been driving my 1947 Dodge truck.

All analogies suck, but car analogies are special.

Hi all,

I am new to diving and have been using an old Suunto Vyper Air. So far I like it, it tells me everything I want to know. I want to get a backup now, but not sure if I want a new computer or find another older one.

Am I wrong to be apprehensive about modern computers requiring software updates? I’m just thinking about practically every modern device I have being glitchy and prone to failures that require calling some tech center to get it sorted out… not how I want to spend precious vacation time, on the phone. I like the idea that back in the Vyper Air era, they had to get it right the first time, no “release it and fix it as problems come up” business model.

What are your experiences with modern computers like Perdix or Luna 2, etc.? Are there any models where glitches/failures are unheard of?

Thanks,
There is a TON of liability involved with dive computers. Not saying glitches can't happen, but updates are very warranted if they come out and vetted pretty extensively. No manufacturer is going to want to risk a wrongful death lawsuit over a glitch in an update. I think your concern is a bit misplaced.

FWIW, I’m diving the UWATEC Ultra wrist computer, it’s 23 years old. I have an old suunto on my console too. They work, why fix them?

ETA; I’m the original owner of both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom