Suggestion Abbreviations Pop Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all,

So I belong to a camping forum and they have a pretty cool feature where anything that they commonly abbreviate pops out with the meaning when you take your mouse over it and each abbreviated term is in a different color. So something like GF would be a different color and you can hover and "Gradient Factors" pops up.

I thought it was a pretty cool feature. For the bulk of the regulars it's not needed but it seems to really cut down on new people asking "what does that mean". I understand there is a section for all the abbreviations somewhere, but I've never honestly been to it.

I don't know how hard that would be to implement, I'm not sure if it's even something that makes sense for SB, but I kind of like it and just thought I would throw it out there.

Update: We have not forgotten this suggestion. The main thing holding us back is the lack of touchscreen support. I made a suggestion to the author of the add-on software to change the behavior to allow tapping or clicking to make the tool-tip pop.

It appears that a great many of our members use touch screen devices a good deal of the the time.

Update: We have not forgotten this suggestion. The main thing holding us back is the lack of touchscreen support. I made a suggestion to the author of the add-on software to change the behavior to allow tapping or clicking to make the tool-tip pop.

It appears that a great many of our members use touch screen devices a good deal of the the time.

I saw that thread and voted. I use both, but the lack of pop out text on a touch screen doesn't bother me personally... I just thought it was a cool feature even if only PC based.

I just thought overall it would be a cool feature for SB.

I just thought overall it would be a cool feature for SB.

Agreed, especially for new and wannabe divers. My gut is telling me that it would help convert a lot of people who find ScubaBoard on search engines to frequent quests and then to members.

I fear that turning buzz-words and acronyms into bold & green text would be disconcerting without it working (popping a tooltip) to such a large percentage of readers.

I'm a little surprised that your suggestion doesn't have a higher up-vote count. The fact that the tool-tip doesn't work for touch screen devices on the linked demo post might have something to do with it.

I'm a little surprised that your suggestion doesn't have a higher up-vote count.

I am too.. but I guess it you know he abbreviations you don't care, and if you don't know that much chances are you haven't seen the thread.

That and maybe I wasn't the most popular kid in school either 🤷‍♂️.

It's a very cool feature on the other forum. I personally have never minded searching or just figuring out the context but it's nice to see it jump out the way it does.

I had assumed SB popout text would be blue? Maybe you can have each user turn it on or off for themselves? Idk. I do believe it would help a lot of newer people muddle through the confusion a lot quicker, and put an end to some of the more "newb" questions (not that that's a huge issue).

I had assumed SB popout text would be blue? Maybe you can have each user turn it on or off for themselves? Idk. I do believe it would help a lot of newer people muddle through the confusion a lot quicker, and put an end to some of the more "newb" questions (not that that's a huge issue).

I have a request to the author of this add-on to add a configurable option to allow the current mouseover or click/tap behavior to pop the tool tip. Leaving the color green would be an indicator that clicking/tapping on the link would pop a tooltip instead of taking you to another page.

Just saw this thread. What a great idea! I have long made a point of typing out things in an original post of a thread or the first time a term is used in the thread, for the future benefit of new ScubaBoard (or "SB") readers.

Back
Top Bottom