Zoop..p o'ed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikevet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I thought I had read and set up my zoop correctly. I may not have done so. What is po2 and what determines where I should set mine? I have a suunto zoop computer.

PO2 is partial pressure of oxygen and is NORMALLY set between 1.4 and 1.6. 1.4 is more conservative and is where I have mine set. 1.6 would be fine if you were not active and more shallow, say on a safety stop.

Keep in mind that the PO2 setting is only an alarm state. It just sets the point at which it yells at you for violating PO2.

The one thing I dislike about the Zoop is that Suunto doesn't include a printed user's guide, just a nearly-useless "quick-start." But I'm probably safer using it, instead of the Veo 180 it replaced.

If the Zoop is set to Air mode, PO2 is irrelevant. It's only relevant in Nitrox mode. I am guessing that you are not a Nitrox diver and haven't taken the Nitrox class. If you are diving on air and thus setting the Zoop to Air mode, then there is no need to set PO2 or oxygen percentage.

If you haven't read through the user's guide, it can be found here: ns.suunto.com/Manuals/Zoop/Userguides/Suunto_Zoop_UserGuide_EN.pdf

Ok great, so I didn't miss something at set up because I am breathing 21%. Someone mentioned this on another's thread I started about the fact that i seem to be staying down longer than others on chartered dives. I was the first one in and the second to last out of the water. I still had 1200 pounds when I started my safety stop. When I got on the boat, about half of them had already changed their tanks. I was trying to figure out if I am miss using my computer. I still had 25 minutes dive time left when I "decided" I had enough and started to ascend. I don't want to use my DAN Insurance card :).

PO2 is partial pressure of oxygen and is NORMALLY set between 1.4 and 1.6. 1.4 is more conservative and is where I have mine set. 1.6 would be fine if you were not active and more shallow, say on a safety stop.
Unless you have complete mastery of how PO2s work in the Decompression models, I suggest you stay with the 1.4 setting. Once you understand what the PO2 matrix is and how to manage the risks it is associated with, then you can play with deviations from the 1.4.

This is just my safety suggestion...

What @Lorenzoid said. @BeijaFlor Yes, perhaps a bit annoying but a full manual is available online on their website and it is very thorough/detailed. :)

Being a bit of a technophobe, I actually print out the manual from the on-line pdf and read it at my leisure. As much as I like paper, I can appreciate that having it on-line allows them to correct any errors and otherwise update it as needed.

And as Oldbear pointed out, anything that may be difficult to understand in the manual can probably be found on YouTube.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom