Zoop 2-Gauge Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tide19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My local dive shop has put out a pretty nice deal on BC, Regulator, Octo, and a computer, which is the Zoop 2-Gauge. I'm a relatively new diver with my 4 certification dives and 2 additional under my belt, and would like to get a computer sooner rather than later. I didn't like the feeling of not knowing my way around the rental computer when I was diving in Cayman this past week.

Has anyone used the Zoop, and if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

The Zoop is the newer version of the Gekko.

It's a solid entry level computer. Nitrox, Safety Stops, all the usual Suunto bits & bobs. Go for it.

It's difficult for newly certified divers to get a decent handle on what's a "good deal" on dive gear. They have a limited amount of experience with various brands, and they can be somewhat blinded by their enthusiasm to get brand-new, shiny gear. The LDS is happy to put together a package deal, but there are several elements (BCD, reg, computer, tank, weights, etc.) to the purchase. Although the package price may look attractive based on the MSRP of the individual components, the customer still needs to figure out whether the gear is what he/she wants/needs.

I don't know what kind of gear is included in the deal being offered by your LDS. Since the computer is a Suunto, I would probably guess that the reg setup is an Aqualung model and the BCD is a Seaquest.

For comparison, one of my local dive shops was having a sale on the wrist-mounted Zoop (without SPG) for $225. That's a very good deal for an easy-to-use, easy-to-read, PC-downloadable, nitrox-capable computer with user-replaceable battery. I've used the early version of the Zoop (Gekko), and it works very well. The only thing I wish it had was a "gauge" mode, which would have been easy for Suunto to implement.

One of my dive buddies purchased a Zoop a few months ago. He likes it, although he has remarked that the Suunto RGBM deco algorithm is more conservative than the one used by his old Sherwood Wisdom. That wasn't a surprise to any of us, though.

I have been happy with mine. It has all the features you need in a basic computer and is very easy to use once you spend a few minutes figuring out how the buttons scroll through the various menus.

I just compared it with my Vyper and I'd go with the Vyper. The Vyper has the dive simulator, which I really like. It's a way to see what the display looks like without being under water.

Adam

I got one as my first (and only) dive computer. The display is clear and has big, easy to read numbers; almost all functions are very easy to access. It does everything I need a this point. The only thing that I dislike is the high price of the optional USB interface. I ended up buying a third-party cable.

+1 for the Zoop!!

Thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. I really appreciate it.

For BubbleTrouble -

I didn't want to post all of the components and take the thread of course, but I figure I won't de-rail it to bad posting in the computer forum.

The BCD is the AquaLung Pro LT, the regulator is the Titan, and the computer is the Zoop (as discussed). The only thing I'm not wild about is the Octo, which is the ABS Octo from AquaLung. It's got mixed reviews from the a few places I could find on-line, with the issue being a free-flow problem. My dive shop will allow me to trade that out for the Airsource 3 at no extra charge, but I'm not wild about the idea of a low pressure inflator being mixed in with my Octo. Seems like too much for a newbie. The dive shop ad specifically mentioned being able to switch out a piece of gear if I'm looking for something in particular, so I'm thinking I might just cough up an extra hundred to make sure I've got an Octo I feel good about.

Pricing out individual components, the cheapest I was able to find the deal for was about $350 more for the package, so I'm strongly considering it after I do a little more research on comparable packages, but the main thing I wanted to make sure of was the computer, so thanks to everyone that responded.

The BCD is the AquaLung Pro LT, the regulator is the Titan, and the computer is the Zoop (as discussed). The only thing I'm not wild about is the Octo, which is the ABS Octo from AquaLung. It's got mixed reviews from the a few places I could find on-line, with the issue being a free-flow problem. My dive shop will allow me to trade that out for the Airsource 3 at no extra charge, but I'm not wild about the idea of a low pressure inflator being mixed in with my Octo. Seems like too much for a newbie. The dive shop ad specifically mentioned being able to switch out a piece of gear if I'm looking for something in particular, so I'm thinking I might just cough up an extra hundred to make sure I've got an Octo I feel good about.

Pricing out individual components, the cheapest I was able to find the deal for was about $350 more for the package, so I'm strongly considering it after I do a little more research on comparable packages, but the main thing I wanted to make sure of was the computer, so thanks to everyone that responded.
BCD: The Aqualung Pro LT is a simple, weight-integrated jacket BCD design. Personally, I like the SureLoc weight pockets. The mechanism emits an audible/tactile click when the pockets are securely loaded into the slot. I have never heard of the mechanism failing and causing inadvertent ditching. With the regular power inflater, the BCD would be a very robust piece of dive gear. You'd probably get sick of it before it "died."

Reg: The Titan design (simple downstream 2nd stage) is very reliable. It's been around for decades. There's a reason that many dive shops use Titans for their rental regs. Simple, robust, easy to service, and should last a long, long time. You might want to consider upgrading the second stage to the Titan LX (which is identical to the low-end Legend 2nd stage). The Titan LX and Legend both feature a balanced poppet design. Another thing to consider is upgrading the first stage with the cold/environmental sealing kit, which is nice for cold/silty water conditions.

Octo: I purchased the ABS octo when I bought my first reg set. It doesn't breathe great. I ended up replacing it with the Legend octo. I'd recommend getting another Titan LX 2nd stage to use as an octo...or the Legend octo (which is exactly the same as the Titan LX, except for cosmetics). I'd also recommend against the Airsource 3. I don't really like the idea of doing air-sharing ascents with a power inflater/alternative air source combo. It's certainly possible to perform air-sharing ascents safely with that setup, but it demands more practice IMO. I suspect that not all divers with this setup practice air-sharing ascents enough. That's just how I feel about it. FYI, I'm an average OW recreational diver, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

A common ScubaBoard recommendation for budget-conscious divers looking to purchase a first set of gear is to try out a BP/W setup and consider the HOG regs (two 2nd stages + 1 first stage) along with a simple brass-and-glass SPG. You really ought to try out a rear-inflate BCD and BP/W prior to purchasing a conventional jacket BCD. The HOG regs can be overhauled and tuned by any competent reg tech that overhauls/services the Aqualung Legend or any Apeks regs. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of these setups.

So you can see that, as with any package, the one you've been offered has some desirable and not-so-desirable elements. No doubt that you're getting a nice discount relative to MSRP, but you need to ask yourself whether it's the gear you want. Bear in mind that, as an active diver, you'll likely be putting several hundred dives on the gear.

Hope this info helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom