zoom lens for the wp-dc21?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Smitty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey folks im wondering if there are a zoom lens for the wp-dc21? im pretty new to this i really like the pics that are really close up and i cant seem to get the g9 to focus when im close to things even on macro. thanks a bunch!!

There are add-on macro lenses that you can put on your housing. They go on the outside of the housing. You cannot add zoom lenses to compact cameras; zooms are either built in or made for dslr cameras.

When you zoom you actually decrease the magnification, usually, of your subject. Adding the macro lenses to the housing will help with magnification.

But if you are having problems with your focus now, we need to trouble shoot that as adding lenses will often make focusing more difficult. The most common problem with focus is getting too close - your camera has a certain area that it has to be outside of in order to focus. Your manual should outline the minimum focus distance - as close as you can get - for your camera at wide and full zoom, at least. Then it's just a matter of getting a feel for that distance.

I agree with Kristin. The G9 is capable of focusing as close as 1cm in macro mode. The port on the WP-DC21 housing is 5cm long, so focusing at the end of that shouldn't be a problem if your camera is working correctly. To see how I have fitted a filter thread to my housing and attach macro lenses click on the green link below.

Smitty,
Have you tried zooming all the way out before you try to focus on something very close. When you use the zoom, you increase the minimum focus length.
See page 75 of your G9 user guide (manual). It explains how the camera will basically switch out of macro mode when you zoom in. With the display set properly, you can see the range of focus right on the screen. Zoomed most of the way in, the minimum focus is 19.6 inches. Zoomed all the way out it is 0.3 inches! That is a big difference.
Bottom line, if you want to use zoom and be really close, you need a close-up lens... or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom