Zoom clamp and gear sleeve - AAAHH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucksavage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a 40D and just took receipt of Ikelite housing.

I have a 17-85 lens. Everything was going great with assembly until I came t what looked like the single task of placing the zoom clasp around the zoom mechanism and slotting it into the gear sleeve. ITS NOT HAPPENING.

I have two clamp / sleeve combos and neither seems to work. They are both tight around the zoom ring and just do not fit comfortably, or at all into the sleeve.

Part of the problem is its all new gear so I am being very careful. However a frustrated 60 minutes later I was pushing and forcing and still nothing but the firm believe I should not be man handling either my camera or the gear sleeve like this.

Can anyone suggest anything? Am I inept?

Yours in anticipation of some day, possibly, maybe taking a nice photo underwater.

I bought the Sigma 17-70 HSM lens for my Nikon a while back, only to find it has a slightly larger diameter than the previous model (not HSM) and to this day Ikelite has no solution - but after sticking the thinner foam strips inside the zoom gear, sliding it over the lens WITHOUT the clamp thingy and then increasing the tightness of the sleeve onto the lens with 4 wood matchsticks slipped inside the zoom gear, it has worked fine for 3 years. I would offer to export matchsticks to you at great cost if you are desperate ...

My suggestion would be to post your question in the Ikelite section of the Manufacturers questions. They will answer for sure.

My memory is that size of the lens is too large to use their regular zoom clamps. That lens needs a special port. I bought the special port and it works great.

But ask Ikelite on this board....

Back
Top Bottom