Zodiak vs Great White Shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably thought it was a dead whale...or so says the owner of a Zodiac. At least mine is orange? LOL

When the old Pac Star ran Great White trips to Ano Nuevo, they had a white
take a bite out their inflatable chase boat. They got video.

That's one reason I have a Whaler.

I'm with you on your choice of the Whaler, I have been on several Zodiak's and wondered about the integrity of the floats with the GW capable of pulling apart large amounts of whale blubber in a single bite...

Now it's confirmed as to what they can do to an inflatable, I don't trust the kayaks as they are just a larger surfboard...

I couldn't believe it when I saw this video clip from the BBC and Discovery Channel... I have been on Zodiak's many times and felt completely safe on the open ocean, now I have second thoughts...

YouTube - Great White Appetite: Surprise Attack

Yeah, I caught the original airing of the show and couldn't believe it either! I was impressed they got that guy to get into that little acrylic box, too. It became pretty obvious how foolish that was, too when the shark barely rammed it, and cracked it open when they hung some tuna inside.

No disrespect to Mike G (one of my buddies) for posting this video. It is amazing to watch a GW Shark bite a Zodiac but.....

I'm fed-up with Shark Week and Discovery Channel for the way the portray sharks and especially Great Whites as human attacking monsters. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the shark was encouraged in some way to bite the zodiac in this video (ie. chummed water etc.) All of the shows now seem to be about shark attack victims - do you notice how many of the incidents are repeated over and over because there really aren't that many shark attack victims to fuel a full week of shows. It's amusing how the footage of Dr. Eric Ritter getting bit by the bull shark gets shown over and over again in four separate documentaries in one week. I wish they would show "Sharkwater" or any documentary that talks about declining populations or just how beautiful a creature they are.

(((kevin)))

I've had great whites and tigers follow me while kayaking here off Catalina and in the Sea of Cortez. Definitely did not feel safe, especially when the 22 ft tiger (yes, larger than the world record) bumped our kayak 3 miles offshore. We used our Zodiac after that, but we didn't stop for any length of time... just went straight to our destination.

OMG... I just watched the video. That is my friend Charles Ingram who was in the Zodiac! I was just talking to him yesterday (he's out on Catalina teaching a class this weekend)... he's going to get me a copy of that show.

You know, I am really skeptical about that clip. During the show, they say that there have been 3 other instances where a great white has attacked a zodiac in that area. And you're telling me that the FOURTH attack just happens to be on a zodiac where a Discovery Channel host is doing an introduction to a show about great white attacks? Seems kind of unlikely that it was entirely unprovoked, do you think?

No disrespect to Mike G (one of my buddies) for posting this video. It is amazing to watch a GW Shark bite a Zodiac but.....

I'm fed-up with Shark Week and Discovery Channel for the way the portray sharks and especially Great Whites as human attacking monsters. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the shark was encouraged in some way to bite the zodiac in this video (ie. chummed water etc.) All of the shows now seem to be about shark attack victims - do you notice how many of the incidents are repeated over and over because there really aren't that many shark attack victims to fuel a full week of shows. It's amusing how the footage of Dr. Eric Ritter getting bit by the bull shark gets shown over and over again in four separate documentaries in one week. I wish they would show "Sharkwater" or any documentary that talks about declining populations or just how beautiful a creature they are.

(((kevin)))

Completely agree. Just listen to the guy giving background commentary and you can see that he is just out to sensationalize normal shark behavior (i.e. "what drives the great sharks' insatiable appetite??"). There is no educational value here, no attempt to highlight the plight of sharks all over the world. Just playing the ratings game.. I am sure there are bozos out there who are thinking about going out an blowing away some of these 'damn bloodthirsty animals' (remember that great scene from 'Jaws' were people were going out to kill the sharks?)

Pathetic (I mean Discovery Channel, not Mike G.)

Vimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom