Zika in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachgcleve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I have had a dive trip planned with another couple for Roatan, Honduras, and I recently found out I'm pregnant! I had planned on still going with them as a non-diver, but the more we have learned about birth defects and cognitive issues after birth with the Zika virus, I've decided not to go. Not to mention I'm 9 weeks along and equally concerned about malaria and other illnesses, so they add to the risk factors, especially with this being our first child. The issue is that my husband is trying to decide if he needs to go. I'm on the fence about it, however if something winds up being wrong we will always wonder if it was a result of him catching the Zika and passing it on to me. Slim chance, and I know all about the preventative measures, but there is still a risk. We have been to Roatan several times before and we know where we stay they take pretty good care to prevent mosquitos and we haven't had a problem. My doctor and our pediatrician have wearily said it would probably be ok, but the truth is there is just not enough information about the Zika situation in Roatan specifically to make a good call. Does anyone have any knowledge on Zika on the Island? Or have been there and gotten it?

I know it is hard to give up a fun dive trip, but 18 years from now, do you want your kid applying to college, or do you want to be still spoon feeding the kid? While it is true accidents can happen any step of the way, this is not one risk I would take a chance on!
If he simply has to dive, try dry suit diving, somewhere without mosquitos.
Off both coasts, there are awesome seals like the one nibbling my fins in my avatar photo.

Funny you hold bring that up --- I just got done talking to m Dr. about vaccines, and he said the only thing to worry about is Zika and he suggested bring LOTS of DEET.

But if you do get bit. take a hot spoon and place it over the bite, it helps bring the toxins up and it wont itch as bad LOL

Back
Top Bottom