Zihuatanejo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. A quick search revealed only a few old threads. Not a common dive destination. I hope someone has information.

I went diving in Zihua in September last year (2020). The diving was perfectly mediocre. I love diving, so I'm glad I went and if you are in the area, you might as well go. Things were very quiet at the time. It was just the captain, DM, and myself. We did see other dive boats at some of the more popular sites at the time.

I went with Zihuatanejo Dive Center, just around the corner from the pier. I chose it based on convenience. The DM was friendly, although his English was only so-so. I don't speak Spanish and it wasn't an issue, but I'm comfortable communicating in gestures and broken Spanish and English. His English was good enough to communicate everything you need to know about the dive and safety. The owner had excellent English. The equipment was well maintained and air seemed fine. I really enjoyed the laid back and personal touch. When returning I'll go back there even if it is the less convenient option.

I am going in January 2022. Does anyone have any experience diving here? Op recommendations? Thank you!

Did you make it under water in Zihua? I know it isn't a hot destination, but I will probably be heading there in November and would like the germ of an idea.

Just returned from a trip over winter break. Went with "Poto" who operates Zihuatanejo dive center along with his wife Julita. I did 3 trips with them, each to a different site. The big boy site here is only a couple of miles from the bay, Solitary Rock which gets deep quick (115') and the current can be challenging. Other sites around Ixtapa and Barra de Potosi made the trips varied and interesting. A very enjoyable place to dive the open ocean. Rental equipment was decent. Bring your own booties.

We will be going this next February/March of 2024. Any problem with customs looking at camera gear at the local airport? Cabo San Lucas is horrible about it for camera housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom