ZHL-GF wrist mount options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hey all!

so after my wife's luna decided to brick itself while in for maintenance a year out of its two year warranty and scubapro took 3 months to 'fix' it, only to hard lock again within 30 seconds of being returned... i no longer trust them, and we're begrudgingly looking at new computers.

requirements are 1) reliability and good customer support. 2) wrist mount, preferably via shock cord / bungee, 3) ability to directly use gradient factors; ie, no '+X' conservation factor that translates roughly to a GF.

AI is nice, but is not required. honestly, dont like the AI wireless TXs on my first stage, too easy to grab them instead of the tank valve.

feature list pushes it solidly into the technical side of things, so supporting muti-gas / mixed gas for nitrox is a given, supporting helium mixes would be nice to hedge for future diving, but not required.

the perdix is currently the top spot in the list, and is an amazing unit, but its not ... inexpensive. if thats the cost you gotta pay for a good product, then so be it.

the nitek q was a nice option, but apparently is now discontinued? our preferred LDS is a dive rite retailer, called in and confirmed this last week. DGX still has them fully unlocked for an amazing price, but the discontinued status gives me pause.

liquivision has also stopped production on their DC lines. boo.

someone recommended hollis TX1, but having trouble sourcing it local. might be a bit old fashioned, but i like to hold something in my hands before dropping that kind of money.

any other contenders to consider? just take the hit to the wallet and get the perdix?

I just sold my TX-1. I was using it as a backup to my Seabear H3. I got a Perdix AI and now the Seabear is the backup.

I would have no real issue with using a TX-1 as a backup computer. But, I would not want it to be my main/primary computer. The readability was okay, but not as good as I'd want for my primary (for tech dives).

Also, according to the manual, the TX-1 will lock into Violation Gauge Mode after a dive if you exceed GF90 for more than 5 minutes. I don't like that at all. My other computer is an Atom, with the DSAT algorithm. For some dives, the DSAT algorithm performs pretty well like having a GF Hi of 95. So, it's entirely possible that I would do an NDL dive and get out with a GF higher than 90. For a "tech" computer to lock out for 24 hours because of that is not something I would consider acceptable for my primary computer. For tech dives, I would never (purposely) get out with a GF that high, so it was not an issue for me, with using the TX-1 as a backup on tech dives.

Oh, and the DR Nitek Q also has some issues that I don't really like. I would also consider it for backup use, but not as my primary computer.

For what you want, I would say a new Perdix AI or a used Perdix would be your best, most cost-effective options.

Oh, and the DR Nitek Q also has some issues that I don't really like. I would also consider it for backup use, but not as my primary computer.

For what you want, I would say a new Perdix AI or a used Perdix would be your best, most cost-effective options.

hrm... thanks for that, was not aware of the violation lockouts on the TX-1. that knocks it out of the running then. :(

we're already strongly leaning towards the perdix, but want to make sure there are not other options to consider before taking the plunge.

Perdix is really your only option if you want a fully functioning computer. The Dive Rite is great for the price, but it's computer log features blow if you can even get it to work, and the screen refresh rate is too slow so if you move your hand a bit too fast while you're looking at it, you can get headaches... not great.

and another one off the list!

sometimes i think the old school divers have the right idea with mechanical rather than electronic bottom timer, depth gauge, and tables...

nah, unfortunately with dive computers, you sometimes get what you pay for, but you do have to pony up before you get something fully featured. There are some great inexpensive computers out there, but if you want GF selection and a nice screen, you are limited to basically Shearwater in the US....

There are some great inexpensive computers out there, but if you want GF selection and a nice screen, you are limited to basically Shearwater in the US....

just to bring some closure to this thread, we did end up going with the nitek qs. really really wanted to go with the shearwater, but with all the other rec -> tech purchases in our near future, being able to buy two niteks for less then the cost of one perdix was the main factor. maybe once we go through our next few years of training, we'll save up some pennies and get some primary shearwaters and the niteks will end up as backups.

the mini and not micro USB connector was a good sight to see; my experience with micro usb has been less then stellar. we'll see how the port cover works with a bit of wear and tear.

took em to the pool today for an upcoming trip meet and greet; the depth gauge was impressively responsive and accurate as compared to our lunas, which has always been an annoyance. there is a noticeable refresh/scan if you wave your arm around; didn’t seem to be an issue in practice, as flailing about is something to be avoided. the clarity and brightness more then makes up for any redraw/refresh deficiencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom