Zen port on PT-EP08 housing with 12-50mm lens on an OMD-EM5 camera.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaticexplorer15

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will the Zen port WA-100 work on the Olympus PT-EP08 housing with the 12-50mm lens on the OMD-EM5 camera?
If so any issues with focus or anything?

Will the Zen port WA-100 work on the Olympus PT-EP08 housing with the 12-50mm lens on the OMD-EM5 camera?
If so any issues with focus or anything?

The Zen WA-100 is a dome specifically for the Olympus 9-18mm lens. Although I have never tried the 12-50 behind that dome, I am going to say that it isn't going to work because the lens is too long. The other issue is the WA-100 is a port designed for the Olympus PEN housings. The OM-D E-M5 has a different mounting setup and would require the Zen PA-EP08-EP adapter. There is also no way to zoom the 12-50 lens in the Olympus housing. Olympus did not make any accommodations for zooming the 12-50 lens in any of their housings.

I emailed Zen and they said the Olympus 12-50mm lens would fit behind the dome with no issues. I already have a Deepshots zoom gear for the Olympus 12-50mm lens and it works great on my Olympus housing. The zoom button does not work but I don't care. They said at the wide side it would be work great but it might lose 20% magnification at the micro side over a flat port. I would like to find a used one if possible.

Here's a link to my experience with the 12-50 in the Zen dome:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/the-olympus-outlet/502538-zen-dome-questions.html

This was in the Oly OMD M1 housing with the Zen adapter for the dome, and although it fits just fine physically, it doesn't work optically. If you stick with the 12-50, you'll need to use the flat port. The electric zoom function works great with the M1, and I think it works somewhat with your M5 (just goes from wide to zoom) but not an issue with your zoom gear- just reiterating my experience in case someone finds this thread in a search sometime.

I bought the flat port and used it with the 12-50 for a while, but ultimately I ended up with the 12-40 in the old 4/3 olympus port. Wish I would have just done that in the first place instead of trying to make the 12-50 work- the Pro lens is that much better. Good luck!

Here's a link to my experience with the 12-50 in the Zen dome:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/the-olympus-outlet/502538-zen-dome-questions.html

This was in the Oly OMD M1 housing with the Zen adapter for the dome, and although it fits just fine physically, it doesn't work optically. If you stick with the 12-50, you'll need to use the flat port. The electric zoom function works great with the M1, and I think it works somewhat with your M5 (just goes from wide to zoom) but not an issue with your zoom gear- just reiterating my experience in case someone finds this thread in a search sometime.

I bought the flat port and used it with the 12-50 for a while, but ultimately I ended up with the 12-40 in the old 4/3 olympus port. Wish I would have just done that in the first place instead of trying to make the 12-50 work- the Pro lens is that much better. Good luck!

I have been considering buying the 12-40. Nothing but good things do I hear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom