Zebra Mussels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cap335

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
AUSTIN — Zebra mussels have been positively identified for the first time in Lake Travis in the Colorado River Basin in Central Texas, just weeks after biologists confirmed the aquatic invasive species had also spread to the Guadalupe River Basin.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) biologists confirmed the presence of zebra mussels in Lake Travis June 22 after an observant staff member at a local marina reported the sighting of a single zebra mussel attached to the outboard motor of a moored boat on the lake.

On-site, biologists found the mussels attached to other nearby boats and on submerged marina infrastructure. Additionally, they found several size classes of adult and juvenile mussels at two different sites in the lake, indicating the lake is infested with an established, reproducing population.

“This is pretty disheartening for us and our many partners, including marinas, who work to prevent this invasive species from spreading – it’s two new river basins with infestations this year,” said Monica McGarrity, TPWD Aquatic Invasive Species team lead.

Damn zebra mussels. I normally look at mussel shells cruising the bottom of LT, haven't spotted any at depth yet, just a matter of time I suppose at this point.

Look at it this way...the water will eventually get clearer (what happened on the Great Lakes).

The warmth in our waters will keep our algae green water green but i can appreciate a good silver lining search. Your water is amazingly blue and beautiful up there.

We also now have them at Canyon Lake, Tx. I guess it was just a matter of time, as other lakes have been infected before this year. I am just glad I do not have to store my boat at one of the marinas.

Won't they filter out the algae?

As I understand the problem with zebra mussels is that they filter out some algae types, but tend to avoid the blue-green algae. Their selective algae menu can lead to undesirable blue-green algae blooms which can be toxic to fish, animals, and humans. So, overall they are definitely not beneficial to our lakes.

Lake Murray (OK) was infected in 2012. The water has been clearer since then. Also,
it's nice your equipment doesn't stink as bad as it used to. I used to wash it
off after a visit. Since Zebra infection I don't bother anymore. Zebra's cleaned up
the water. It's been years and there's still just as much marine life as ever. The
only down side I've seen is their shells are quite sharp. You have to avoid
touching them with your bare skin or they will cut you. These things are part
of the scenery now. Like lion fish they can't be stopped. Everything else will
have to adjust to their presence.

How much has the visibility improved

and how bad is the infestation?

Back
Top Bottom