zeagle tool kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone use the Zeagle Diver's Tool Kit w/ knife, shears, and slate?

The reason I ask is because I almost got two of them at the LDS this weekend.
But the display model I picked up revealed that the slate is not "pocketed", clipped or attached in any way. So, after being on display a short time, the two straps that hold the slate in are already loose and the slate falls right out when messed with.

The owner pulled a new one out of the box to show to us.
I promptly gave the shears strap a tug to free them and the high-pressure snap broke - popped loose of the webbing. Thus, the sheers can never be "snapped" back into place.

Suddenly, I started wondering about the Quality Control in the Ranger BCs we bought that morning. lol. :(

My least favorite type of post, although I guess that comes with the territory... :sorry19z:

We honestly don't get complaints about the slate issue, although I will have our folks take a look at it. Maybe we can do something better.

The snap problem should not happen, obviously. If you want to PM me the name of the shop, I will get in contact tand make sure they send it in for repair. Of course, if you did purchase it and the snap broke, we would repair it for free...

Those Ranger BCs should be fine. If you have any questions or problems with them, please feel free to contact the store where you bought them, or myself.

We strive to have 100% Quality Control, like most manufacturers do, however sometimes things slide by the best of us...

Rest assured that we stand behind our products 100%. Your problems are OUR problems, and I will do everything in my power to make sure any Zeagle customer is happy - within reason, of course!! :wink:

Thanks and dive safe!!!

Scott

No, I didn't buy them.
After seeing how loose the slate was, I was concerned, but would've taken a new one under the assumption the display model had been abused.
But after seeing the button pop off the one fresh out of the box, we figured there's something wrong with the line itself.
That's why I was asking on here - to see what others have experienced with that kit.
Thanks for responding though, Scott. We can't wait to try out our new Rangers in Bonaire.
The shop was www.ScubaDiversions.com, but I'm sure he'll be contacting you to get that stuff replaced soon enough.

FWIW-
The slate being held in by friction alone just doesn't seem too reliable.
Those two stretchy straps are awful thin and not very strong to begin with.
I can imagine how some usage (ie. wear & tear) would loosen them, and then there's nothing holding the slate (unless it's strapped against you, or kept in a pocket).
Otherwise, though, it's a neat, compact, all-in-one concept and we were very interested in getting it even though we already have all of the individual components separately. If it had ONLY been the loose slate, I'd have continued with the purchase and just drilled a small hole in the corner of the slate and attached a thin thread to it and tied the other end to the kit (so that if it ever DID come loose, it couldn't go anywhere).

Thanks for the input. The funny thing is, we have been making them that way for years, and have never had a complaint (that I can recall) of people losing the slates!?

I will give the shop a call tomorrow, if they have not contacted us.

Thanks again!

Scott

I've been using this tool kit for a year and had no problems with it. Sound investment in my opinion.

I’ve also used the Zeagle Diver Tool Kit 8135 (without slate) for years. Major rust problem with the knife in the beginning but cleaning with a small amount of gun oil and a thin coating of silicone grease before diving solved the problem. The webbing loop that holds the EMT shears is terrible and sometimes allow the shears to come loose from the sheath during a dive—have since modified it.

(off topic) BTW, just saw the Rangers in Custom Color on the Zeagle website:

http://www.zeagle.com/

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Ranger Purple and Yellow&category=Specialized BCs

I think it’s a great idea. Anyway, would love to show up for DIR-F wearing one of those just to see the look on my instructor’s face.

I have been diving in a ranger with the knife shears for many years and have never had a problem with either of them.

Of all the equiptment that we sell at the shot Zeagle is tops.

Mark

I have a tool kit without the slate. No problems here.

I did have to modify it to mount it where I wanted it though. It only comes with a velcro strap on the back and I wanted to mount it on the front right of the cummerbun. I just poked two holes in it and bought some stainless blind nuts and bolts and mounted it to the mounting holes on the cummerbum of my Ranger.

I sent a note to Scott about it and he was very gracious in accepting my feedback/suggestion.

I too have the toolkit and love the thing, never had a rust problem and never had an issue with the slate.

Got a couple questions on this myself.

Bought this on a recommendation from a couple people. 1) What are the best ways to mount/place this on your BC? I have a Zeagle Brigade and it fits nicely in the pocket but I was wondering if there were other solutions.

2) What type of pencil is recommended with the slate? Hard or soft lead? To be honest, when I got it I thought they sent me the wrong one since the slate does appear to be a piece of packing cardboard or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom