Zeagle tank mounted weight system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Zeagle tank mounted weight system
Does anyone own or use a Zeagle tank mounted weight system?

I just bought one and thought it would be a great idea moving weight away from the front and onto the tank-it's ditchable too.

But the more I play with it, the more "cagey" it looks i.e. weight shifting in pockets, only velcro holding weights in.........

What has the been the experience?

Thanks
Mike

P.S. I also posted this in "General Equipment Discussions"

Hi Mike,

I just picked up a Scout for travel. The weight system kind of looked "iffy" to me as well but I had it on in the pool last night and it seem to work well. If all goes well I will give it a good test drive over the next 2 weeks. I was upside down with 3 lbs in each side (soft shot weights) and did not notice them moving. It may be that we can put some neutrally bouyant material in the pouches to "center" the weights as desired if they shift around too much.....it may turn out to be a great way to adjust trim. I don't think I would put the 30 lbs in it they claim it can handle but I got it for warm water travel use, 10 to 12 lbs max so that's not an issue for me.

I too was concerned about the weight shifting around. I thought I would get the weight pouches-but they only hold 6 lbs a peice. I don't understand Zeagle with regards to this weight system. In one breath they say you can carry up to 48lbs of weight in the system and then they make 6 lb. pouches-doesn't make sense. The set up is cheap though-especially when compared to the Halycon weight system that I have looked at-$169.00!!!

My other concern was that the weight would fall out. I have done a couple of dives(Oil Slick Leap in Bonaire comes to mind) where I had to take a long "fall" into the ocean. I might try to reinforce them with another layer of velcro over the pull strap-this is the design on my wife's integrated weight BC and it's impossible to remove them without really giving them a huge pull.

The above sounds like a lot of "monkey business" and I still couldn't wear my dry suit with it-too much weight needed. But, boy do I hate wearing a weight belt. I would primarily use the Zeagle system on dive trips just to avoid the dreaded weight belt. It would just be a few pounds of weight that I would add to my future BP and harness when in tropical waters.

I'll keep it and see what "evolves" with it- I'll make it a little project of mine.

Mike

Well, I just put 2 NC style dives on the Scout (4 to 6 ft seas and most of the boat puking....I thought the Keys were susposed to be easy diving hehehe)and am happy to report that all was better than expected. I had 10 lbs of soft weight in the BC, 5+5, and trim was great, I stayed in whatever postition I intended. I did several upside down moves and shook the BC just to see if it made any difference, either the weight did not move or it did not matter. I am going to look into a cumberbun for the Scout but otherwise I think I am going to be happy with it. Which BC did you get Buff? I do think I am going to get/make some mesh bags like the Ranger uses to put the weight in so they are easier to take out from the top. More dives should follow this week or weekend.

Herman-

I don't know if your weight system is the same as mine? My system claims that you can put up to 48lbs in it. I don't see how that is possible. I haven't tried it yet but the weights must move around-there's too much room in there for them not to do so.

You weight system might be particular to your BC(Scout). I hope to use the tank mounted system on my future backplate and harness.

Buff,

Do you have a web location for a picture of the system? The only one I see on the Zeagle site is just like the have on the Scout.

Personally I would not put the big pockets on a bp/wings, or any other BC for that matter. I bought a set of the big pockets looking to do what you are talking about. They were sold a month later. What I found is that putting a lot of weight to the back makes me want to turn turtle with my plate. For drysuit diving I have found that the small pockets work much better. If you could actually get 48# in those pockets you would never be able to stay face down. With a drysuit I put 8# behind the plate in a pair of the small pockets (4# each), have an ss plate and use 12# in a weight harness. Wearing a 3/5/3 I can get rid of the 12#. But, I have found that the 8# behind me with no weight belt makes me want to turn over when I roll up a little. So with the 3/5/3 I put the 8# on a belt. The big pockets are a neat idea that I personally don't think works real well. Luckily I sold the big pair for the $30 I paid for them. The guy who has them loves them, but he still keeps half of his weight on a belt.

http://www.zeagle.com/bc2001_options.htm

is the picture of the pockets. There is a picture but not a description of the big pockets, just the smaller pockets .

JoelW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom