Zeagle Regulators and air flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smoritz0370

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to start this post by stating that I currently have 2 Flathead VI regulators and generally really like them. I do have a small concern with what I believe is the face plate of the second stage. I think it is too soft or rather it is too easy to activate the purge function of the second stage. I seem to be always activiating my purge by tapping the face plate either while getting geared up or when in the water and moving around doing valve drills, etc. This can sometimes develop into free flows depending on regultator orientation and/or air/water temperature.

Is this a common problem? Has Zeagle ever considerd going to a hard face plate with a smaller activation button?

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

I sent your message over to Mr. Jim Fox, resident Zeagle regulator guru, and here is his response:

Generally the testers in Diving Magazines report how "easy" it is to activate the purge on a second stage and penalize the regulators that they perceive as hard to purge. It is important (if the need arises in an emergency) that the purge be large enough to find and soft enough to activate even with large gloves. The Zeagle purge cover has always received high marks in these tests.

Uncontrolled purging or free-flows described in your post are a known issue with Scuba Regulators and are addressed with the "DIVE" "PRE-DIVE" lever. At the surface or if the regulator is underwater but not in the mouth (Octopus reg), the lever is left in the Pre-Dive position. Any inadvertent purging will be quickly dampened and shut off. Once the regulator is in the diver's mouth, the lever is moved to the Dive position. The run-away free-flows that can occur with the regulator out of the mouth, cannot occur when the regulator is in the mouth.

Ok, thank you Scott I will make more of an endevour to make sure when I am not in the water the lever is switched back to pre-dive. I cannot explicitly remember if I had it also happen when the lever is in the pre-dive mode or not.

Thank you both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom