Zeagle Ranger or Ranger LTD RECENT information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgreider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for recent information about the Zeagle Ranger or Ranger LTD. After doing a search, everything seems to be old (some posts are over 10 years old). Does anyone have any recent experience with them? Please no BPW comments, not looking for one of those right now.
Thanks

My first BCD was a Zeagle Ranger (which I bought second hand), and I still have it. It has served me well, but I rarely dive it anymore because I've moved to a different setup for most of my diving.

The advantages of the Ranger are: It is a very rugged BCD, and will last a very long time. It is a back-inflated BCD, which I prefer over jacket style. I found it very comfortable. Parts are easy to get and replace. My dealings with customer service were great--they repaired my (out of warranty) BCD for a very reasonable price. It has two roomy pockets on the outside, and there is a roll-down mesh bag in the front.

The disadvantages: It is a bit bulky and heavy. Not the greatest travel rig. For warm water, the bladder, at 45# lift, is a bit large, and it tends to be unstable. On my Zeagle Tec BCD, I replaced the huge 65# bladder with a smaller 35 lb bladder, and found it to be a much more stable rig. I think ScubaToys sells the Ranger harness with a 35# bladder and calls it the Brigade.

The ripcord weight release system is a bit unusual. It is quite reliable, and you can ditch some of the weight by not using the ripcord but unzipping the pocket and removing the weight pouch. The disadvantage is that the system has to be rethreaded if the ripcord is pulled. It isn't difficult, but does require a little time and patience.

You won't go wrong dealing with Zeagle. The Ranger is a very well constructed BCD that will stand up to a lot of use. If you are looking for a travel BCD, you might look at one of the lighter, more compact models like the Stiletto or the Covert.

I dove a Ranger for many years. The above post is spot on. Though I never found it to be unstable. I would not recommend the LTD as it has too many unneeded accessories.

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to get a Ranger (not the LTD)

I was very happy well I still am but when I was diving steel banded manifolded twin Faber 100 steel tanks
a Ranger with my Hogarthian rig breathing the short hose with the long hose rubber banded to one tank

Very stable at any orientation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom