Zeagle DSV vs. Apeks ATX 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.P.

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a regulator.
I will be diving in cold water therefore i have my sight on either a Zeagle DSV or an Apeks ATX50.
Which one would you recommend?
I think the ATX 50 has a swivel turret, is there any similar Apeks first stage without the swivel?

Thanks,
OP

Hi OP

Can't help you with the comparison...

I use the ATX50 together with the DST first stage. On the second post, I have the DS4. It is similar to the DST except for the swivel, the second HP outlet and the 1/2'' outlet. The ATX50 won't fit on the DST that I have, since it uses a 1/2'' connection.

Btw, I am very happy with the combo and have used it in water down to 5°C and 30m.

O.P.:
I'm about to purchase a regulator.
I will be diving in cold water therefore i have my sight on either a Zeagle DSV or an Apeks ATX50.
Which one would you recommend?
I think the ATX 50 has a swivel turret, is there any similar Apeks first stage without the swivel?

Thanks,
OP

First, both of these regs are excellent choices. Apeks has a real advantage in that it is part of the worldwide AquaLung group. Finding a dealer around the world would be far easier than for Zeagle. Zeagle makes fine regulators, but finding dealers outside of North America could prove to be tough. The Apeks DS4 first stage is the design without the turret. I use the DS4 for one of my single tank rigs. I use the TX50, as its wider exhaust tee is better at bubble dispersion.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
First, both of these regs are excellent choices. Apeks has a real advantage in that it is part of the worldwide AquaLung group. Finding a dealer around the world would be far easier than for Zeagle. Zeagle makes fine regulators, but finding dealers outside of North America could prove to be tough. The Apeks DS4 first stage is the design without the turret. I use the DS4 for one of my single tank rigs. I use the TX50, as its wider exhaust tee is better at bubble dispersion.

Greg
Thanks for the info.
I called a couple stores in town and they are telling me that they are not able to get the DS4 first stage. One even quoted me the ATX50 at over $500. For that price, I would go with the ATX100 or 200.
Is there any reason why they wouldn't be able to get the DS4 (not in production anymore..)?
If I can't get the no turret version, I guess I'm going to go with the zeagle.

O.P.:
Thanks for the info.
I called a couple stores in town and they are telling me that they are not able to get the DS4 first stage. One even quoted me the ATX50 at over $500. For that price, I would go with the ATX100 or 200.
Is there any reason why they wouldn't be able to get the DS4 (not in production anymore..)?

The DS4 is very much available! Contact Bob3 here on the board and ask him as to the availability issue. Bob's business integrity is above reproach. The DS4 is the technical diving standard from the line. It comes standard with a 300bar DIN fitting.

Greg

While a very good reg, in my opinion the DSV offers no advantage over the Apeks DS4 or the former Zeagle DSIV. It does have one extra LPport but it is mounted so that it would go straight into the back of your head. Not to practical for hose routing.
And as mentioned, the DS4 is very much available. Of course this could depend on your location. My LDS got me the ATX50-DS4 combo for the same price as a DST-ATX50. I like it very much reliable, and very low profile.
Zeagle regs on the other hand are the exact same as the former TX series in Apeks. (speks used to make their regs. Now apeks has the new ATX and Zeagle still has the larger second stages of the TX era).

O.P.:
Thanks for the info.
If you do you won't regret it. American made/owned!
JMO

For cold water diving I can recommend swedish made Poseidon. I do most of my dive´s in cold, even extremely cold water and the only brand that has never froozen up or misbehaved is Poseidon. I´ve got ODIN 1st and Jetstream 2st. Also recommended by the U.S. NAVY

I pulled this off the Zeagle website:

What's the difference between Zeagle Regulators and APEKS regulators? My (buddy/ dive instructor/ brother- in - law) says they're the same.
For many years Zeagle distributed several regulators manufactured by the U.K based Apeks factory. These were labeled with both Zeagle and Apeks brands. The Zeagle/Apeks regulators were great products and developed quite a following. In the late 90's Zeagle was also developing a more advanced regulator design which had an improved internal structure and a higher performance, more durable high pressure valve. About the same time the French company Air Liquide (which owns the Aqua Lung/ U.S. Divers/ Sea Quest group) purchased a majority of the Apeks factory. The eventual result of this purchase was that the regulator models formerly distributed by Zeagle began to be sold through the Aqua-Lung and Sea Quest lines. Zeagle's regulator line migrated to the newer models, as we intended. So the "old" Zeagle regulators were indeed Apeks manufactured, while the Zeagle regulators since 2000 have been the newer designs, produced in our own factory in Florida.

Very true Zeagle used to get their regs from Apeks, but they now make their own. The HP seat int he first stage is unique to others. The way that it is constructed seems to be very much more durable cone style seat. Otherwise they are the same as the apeks and, you wouldn't know the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom