zeagle 50d regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnt3d

Reaction score
hi- has anyone used this regulator?? is it worth the money?? cold water use any good??

I use this regulator and love it very much. Apeks was involved with some portion of the design/production and they are also very highly thought of by members of this discussion board.

Breathing is very easy. I enjoy the simple adjustability and my local tech diving guru says it is one of his choices for tech diving. I chose it due to high recommendations from divers whom I trust as well as my research on various dive websites and publications.

I haven't dove in any cold waters (yet), so no comments there from me. But I'm sure the rest of the crowd will join in.

I've got the Apeks TX50, which I believe is the same regulator, and love it! Nice adjustments, breaths easily, and as said above, has a huge following in the "technical" commnunity because of it's durability and breathing at depth.

Hello, just an update the Zeagle 50d,and the Apeks tx50 are Identical regs all manufasctured by Apeks, The cold water version (Zeagle tech 50d severe) was an exceptional breather and provided excellent freeze proof reliability in an official capacity. I can provide some Breathing resitance numbers if you are interested. just keep then questions comming.

I thought the new Zeagle regulators were no longer made by Apeks and had a couple of design refinements. Is this wrong?

Ralph

Someone else may know your answer, but when I ordered my gear (early April), I got a Zegle 2nd and a 1st stage that had Apeks notations all over it, including under the environmental seal. Even the shop owner was suprised that that was what Zeagle sent. He commented that I might have gotten one of the last of the Apeks still in their inventory and that I may have gotten a better deal than I had planned on.

Apeks severed ties with Zeagle last year and Zeagle no longer distributes Apeks regs under their name. Now they may still have some old stock, I don't know. All the new Zeagle regulators are designed and built by Zeagle. I'm sure Rainreg was refering to the old Zeagle Tech 50D being the same as the Apeks TX50. Most dealers in the US are now, and have been for some time, making a modification to their Apeks regs. It includes a different counterbalance cylinder and some other things. It's my understanding that this modification now comes standard on all Apeks regs shipped to US dealers. But those sold in the UK don't have it due to it disqualifing them on the European standards. That has something to do with very cold water. Whether or not the old Zeagle/Apeks regs had this I don't know.

Thank you Warhammer, I was refering to the older style Zeagle, And yes Zeagle has severed all ties with Apeks and they manufac thier own stuff. Zeagles new stuff has no ties to Apeks, thanks for the clarification. keep up the good work.

Why mods were they doing on the Apeks, and for what purpose? I just got my Tx50 in late March and dont' think anything was ever done to it.

BTW, in conversation with this dealer the other day, they had quite a few Apeks TX50's in stock a excellent prices.

Aquatic Adventures 1 800 741 6476

I use the older T50D Severe, and it's an awesome breather. I highly recommend it for deep diving. However, it's anything but freeze proof. Mine freezes up pretty regular when temps get down near freezing. I've talked with many others who have also had free flows with them. I suspect it's because they are shipped with a 140psi IP and need to be around 125-130 for cold water performance. I'll test my theory this winter I hope.
If I were you, I'd go with the Apex line to avoid whatever problems Zeagle is having with distribution or whatever is going on there.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom