Trip Report Zanzibar Diving Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok I confess we did it - travelling during covid times. Got frustrated with half the family stuck in other countries and no possibility to even get a goose here in Ethiopia so with no way to do the real German Christmas celebration anyway booked a last minute flight for the boys and me to Zanzibar. So instead of spending the days next to the oven I just had to put my feet under a restaurant table - hm, might get used to it.

Our 2 weeks vacation on Zanzibar of course also included 8 days of diving - with Diving Poseidon in Nungwi including 2 days Mnemba, 1 day Tumbatu and 1 dive on Leven Bank. Great dives: lots of interesting fish, especially on Shane’s reef: leaf fish, frog fish, crocodile fish, weedy scorpionfish….also a few Napoleons and king fish and lots of nudis – can’t name all here! Simply beautiful. Florian and Masoud are both great at finding you the most hidden critters. Captain and help are also nice, friendly, and always helpful - good team atmosphere. Diving is off a beautiful dhow, very comfortable with lots of space and roof for shade. Also actually easy to get on and off (was wondering about that beforehand but no problems) – after dive kit is taken off in water and handed to the very helpful staff that pulls it up and there is a ladder. Before dive you gear up at the shop and staff carries it to boat, so very comfortable holiday diving much appreciated by my back. Very safe and relaxed at the same time – felt they watched out for my teenage boys without them even noticing. Most dives are quite shallow less than 30m, and easy, only a few dives (Leven Bank) quite some current but still very manageable.
We did not do any training with them but some days we had an open water diver with us who had just completed his training with Diving Poseidon - which could have been annoying seen the different level of experience but he kept up with no problem at all so either that guy was very gifted or their training must be really great! So all in all I can only recommend Diving Poseidon - we had a great time.

:clearmask:

Hello!

Incidentally I am very keen on diving in Zanjibar.

A friend dived there a few months ago and enjoyed but the main issue for me is that its more of a resort hotel with a dive center.

Meaning they'd only do two dives a day.
And once a week a night dive.

When I travel for diving, I want at least four dives a day. Morning, midday, afternoon, and a night dive.

The dive centers in Indonesia were like that. On some days we even did a little shore diving between afternoon and night dive. So five dives a day.

Did you get a sense of Diving Poseidon's schedule while there?

Hi CD!
Normally Diving Poseidon do two dives per day, as a double tank, and I believe most centers do if I remember well my research before I left.
They leave at 8 or 8:30 depending where they go exactly, and return around 12 or 14 (latter when going to Mnemba island which is further away and you get a light lunch after dives).
Then again they are very flexible and most dive sites are not that deep so maybe just contact them and request if they could arrange for that. Probably also depends who else is diving at the same time and if they are interested in more dives or willing to wait, which again might depend on which dive sites were chosen.

We are still hopeful to make it to Zanzibar in Jan, crazy as that sounds. @Bubble99 did you enjoy diving with Poseidon? Were to be near Matemwe so were looking at Ocean one and Eagle rays. How was Mnemba conpared to the closer sites? worth the trek?

Hi Jaan,

Really loved it at Poseidon, I can recommend!
Mnemba was also great, Poseidon go there also, like once or twice a week, a bit upon request. You pay a bit more but then you don't need to change hotel/guest house, and it includes a lunch.
My favorite site was Shane reef, just incredible full of weird creatures, lost of leaf fish and frog fish and nudis everywhere.
Though I usually really recommend just to save you the stress, maybe do not go via Addis/with Ethiopian Airlines - most expats are currently being evacuated and though the airport is still from most embassies considered as safe and also for transit, this might change any time.

Leven Bank was not that interesting unfortunately it is completely overfished. Only small fish left, it is a shame, and of course no passing sharks etc. to be found due to that either. As it is quite far I would skip that. It is a shame as I am sure were it protected for a few years, it all would come back fast but as is not much left.

Do not go via Addis/with Ethiopian Airlines - most expats are currently being evacuated and though the airport is still from most embassies considered as safe and also for transit, this might change any time.
Thank you for this, and for the tips on sites and operators. Will definitely try to coax them into going to Shane Reef. We love the small stuff.

If I can also ask, did you also have to visit the Pwani Mchangani test center for departure covid tests? How was that overall process if you don't mind sharing. I understand things are evolving all the time but figured your experience was fairly recent.

Thanks again for the good advice.

any pictures of Nungwi, Mnemba, Tumbatu, and Leven Bank?

We are still hopeful to make it to Zanzibar in Jan, crazy as that sounds. @Bubble99 did you enjoy diving with Poseidon? Were to be near Matemwe so were looking at Ocean one and Eagle rays. How was Mnemba conpared to the closer sites? worth the trek?
Gonna be in Zanzibar 31 December to 6 January--- may run into you. Do you have any good tips so far? Was thinking of diving with Poseidon as well... reached out to them and they seem legit.
--Charlie

Hey, so I'm not the only crazy one it seems :wink: I see we are neighbors!! We would be there only Jan 20th so, I'll rely on you for the tips. We have been once before (10 yrs ago) at Blue Bay, and went out with local shop on site, it was just amazing.
I've still been back and forth about travelling but leaning more and more towards going. Just got my on-line visa, looking to get tests setup for departure ... lets share notes for sure. feel free to write direct. (Example: we tried 3 cards for the visa and all were refused, read a tip to try my costco (citi) card, and sure enough, that worked!! funny).

Hey, so I'm not the only crazy one it seems :wink: I see we are neighbors!! We would be there only Jan 20th so, I'll rely on you for the tips. We have been once before (10 yrs ago) at Blue Bay, and went out with local shop on site, it was just amazing.
I've still been back and forth about travelling but leaning more and more towards going. Just got my on-line visa, looking to get tests setup for departure ... lets share notes for sure. feel free to write direct. (Example: we tried 3 cards for the visa and all were refused, read a tip to try my costco (citi) card, and sure enough, that worked!! funny).
Uh-oh, Zanzibar is about to get a double dose of Florida Man!

Back
Top Bottom