Z Isolatable Manifold for Z Side-Mount System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unified Team Diving

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Members

isolatoblemanifoldnohoses.jpgWe are excited to be introducing the new Z-Isolatable Manifold for the Z Side-Mount System. We have uploaded a blog ( Z Isolatable Manifold for Z Side-Mount System - Unified Team Diving ) out lining the use with pictures and video explaining how this isolatable manifold works for side-mount diving.

isolatoblemanifoldfull.jpgThis new product was designed to be compatible with the Z-Side-mount system, attaches to the standard z-harness and allows the diver to input in the left and right side of the manifold and then the isolate the left 4 ports from the right 4 ports if need be. Very similar in theology to back mounted twin tank diving in that one would use an isolatable manifold when diving double tanks.

isolatoblemanifoldmounteds.jpgThis now allows the divers to configure their Z-Side-Mount System 100% compatible to their back-mounted system, in that the right side is primary side and consists of a long hose, a bcd inflator hose and the right side QC6 input. The left side consists of a necklaced back-up regulator, drysuit hose if needed and the left side QC6 input. When the Z Isolator manifold knob is open all 8 ports are inter connected and therefore everything is open to the gas moving freely between the right and left side. If the diver was to have an issue, lets say a primary regulator fails, lets say open and free flowing or the diver was to blow an o-ring on the long hose, the diver can can now "isolate" the left side from the right side, which means they can switch to the backup necklaced hose which is connected to the left side, isolate and disconnect the right side air tank tanks, therefore eliminating the risk of lossing all gas from the left side tank and from the right side tank. In other words this isolatable manifold eliminates the single point of failure which exists with a regular manifold distribution block. This product is great for those divers that are progressing beyond recreational side-mount diving into technical and overhead environments side-mount diving. For more information check out http://www.utdequipment.com.

As a side-note: For recreational divers who do not need the isolator, we do have the Z-Manifold without the isolator knob and therefore the manifold is a simple 8 port distribution block. This is great because you can have one input and then 6 outputs. Then at some stage if you decide to upgrade to the isolatable version, this is very simple and easy, one can simply install the isolator knob and parts and the same manifold becomes an Isolatble manifold.

Thanks
UTD Team​

Customer Robin Jacoway comments on testing the new Z-Isolatable Manifold.....

"My intentions were to try the Z Sidemount system and have a better understanding of the fit/feel and trim of the system. Andrew put me in this system with the z-iso manifold insisting that I give it a try. In the back of my mind I was thinking wow do I really need this, what are the advantages? Fast-forward to the evaluation session. It just works; I've been diving with doubles on my back for a very long time, though I feel very comfortable with my trim in doubles this system is a huge advancement. The z-system was extremely easy to adjust properly, with only a couple of final adjustments at the pool I felt very comfortable wearing new gear in a proper diving position.

Now the Z-iso manifold...this thing has some meat to it, its rugged and far more protected between your scapulas than a traditional iso post on back mounted doubles. I'm a convert; it performs exactly the same way as it would on back mounted doubles, though it is in a different position (next to your body) it was very easy for me to reach back with either hand to perform an Isolation shutdown. While trying to come up with disadavntages/failure points etc. it occured to me that it has exactly the same amount of connections / o-rings as a traditional back mounted system.
I don't see how anyone can disput the fact that a sidemount system like this is a significant improvement to being streamlined in the water compared to backmounted doubles. Now with the z-isofold the diver can use the system exactly the same way he has used back mounted doubles in the past.The main advantages:

1) The diver can breath both tanks down equally at the same time.
2) Much easier to reach the iso-post.
3) Easier for divers whom have already developed muscle memory doing drills with back mounted doubles to be able to continue diving the same way.
4) Keeps the team compatible with additional solutions; offboard connections.
5) One of my favorite benefits other than streamlining, is that this system allows the dive to merely unclip the waist d-rings and move the bottles out in front of him while going through small restrictions inside wrecks.
I can't wait to get one of the new ones with the "hard" anodization.

This is definately the future for getting the doubles off your back and being "truly" streamlineed in the water.

Robin
Ocean Research Group"

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom