Yukon Conditions (pic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dove the Yukon yesterday on the afternoon Lois Ann. Conditions were the BEST I've ever seen there..... well, conidering it was my first time, that's not too odd.

:)

But others on the boat said the conditions were the best. No current, 40+ foot viz below 30 feet (5 foot above), flat calm seas.

Nice day on the boat.

Altho the viz was good, still was green around the edges....

Chris

6030_4202_1.jpg

Arnaud bubbled...
Looks kind of black to me :D

You know, it's funny, because I looked at Chris's Yukon picture first on the uncalibrated LCD monitor on a fairly new laptop, and I think I saw the tonal range that he intended -- a spooky-looking gun turret on the left, a trio of divers (well, mostly I could see two of them) on the right -- the divers a fairly stark black against shades of gray.

Then I took a look at it on a Sony Trinitron monitor at work that had been calibrated with Monaco EZcolor and a photopolarimeter. Strangely, it was all nearly black as Arnaud describes.

I guess the moral of the story (which I've noticed with my own pics) is that your viewing mileage can really, really vary depending on your monitor. Funny, however, that in this case it was my supposedly calibrated monitor that produced the less desirable results ...

I just dove the Yukon last Saturday, the 20th. I thought it was good, but just like you, it was my first time. I was on the Blue Explorer Charter (next door to Lois Ann). I much preferred the Ruby E. She is shallower and smaller so you get a bit more bottom time and can explore the whole vessel. Did you do the Yukon, Ruby E and Kelp? How did you like the crew of the Lois Ann?

Conditions weren't the best, but I was as happy as a kid in a candy store. The medtridium (sp?) were gorgeous and wreck diving just does it for me anway. The kelp dive was eventfull compared to most, 2 sharks, octopus, LOTS of lobster etc. I'd have to say my 9 hour drive to San Diego was worth the trip.

Dive safe, dive often.

Did you do the Yukon, Ruby E and Kelp? How did you like the crew of the Lois Ann?

Did 2 Yukon dives. I am not a big fan of deep dives either, but was diving EANx 33, so I got 40 plus minutes, 100 fsw and 80 fsw max dives. Plus I hadnb't been on a boat in such a long time since the conditions have been so bad, I'd take anything.

Thought the crew of the Lois Ann was very good.

9 hour drive? Wow, that's dedication. :D I only had (thank god) an hour and a half

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom