Yucky stuff on my new jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a brandnew set of jets and am dying to get in the water.

THere's some gooey stuff covering them that peels of like a holiday sunburn. I'm guessing it's just for protection during storage and transport but fear it may be some special agent that has to be worn off slowly while it rubs in and does ...chemical preservation stuff ... to the fin.

Do I leave it on or rub it off?

gotta look sexy you know ...

I suspect it is a mold release agent rather than a preservative. My jets were bought in 1985 and if I remember correctly the whitish stuff finally completely wore off in year or so. The fins have not deteriorated since, so I don't think there is much of a preservative effect with it. In fact I am pretty sure that in a couple thousand years, either archeologists or tomb raiders will excavate my dive locker and discover a perfectly usable set of jet fins.

Sounds to me like a mold release. Before they pour the rubber compound in the mold, they coat the mold with a waxey like substance to keep them from sticking. Just like using butter to keep your eggs from sticking to the pan. It has no effect on the longevity of the fin.
Instead of paying somebody at the factory to sit there and clean off all of the fins, they just let the customer worry about it. And there's nothing to worry about.

Or maybe they're a new type of living tissue fin that has to molt every once in a while. :D How's that for sexy?

Ah, beat me to it DA.

ifukuda:
Definitely mold release.

Okay guys - I spoke to this secret police agent/presidential bodyguard friend that I have and he said definately silicone mold.

So that's one more crime solved!

;0)

?.....there fins, dive em!

dbg40:
?.....there fins, dive em!

I did. They're great.

Still, yesterday vanity drove me to pour boiling water on the offending yucky stuff and lo and behold - it all just magically rinsed off - which leads me to believe it was really some kind of wax-type agent.

Yucky stuff on fins is a sin against nature and must be corrected through the addition of boiling, purifying H2o.

Now my jets are non-leprous to look at and I'm just praying my unholy experiments didn't fatally alter the structure of the rubber.

jumbo:
Try a little rubbing solvent, finger nail polish. makes them look nice and shiny

JUMBO

finger nail polish, huh? Sounds like were about on the same page here ;o)

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom