Yucatan in April- Cozumel or Xcalak? Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asrael

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are thinking of heading to the Yucatan in April for 2 weeks. We are planning on doing a few days of diving and was hoping to gain some insight from you all here. I have searched the forum, but didn't get a clear idea of what would be best.

A little bit about us and what we are looking for. We are in our late 30's/early 40's and like to stay of the beaten path. We aren't into really touristy places, and try to find low key places to stay wherever we go (Example in Hawaii we head to Kealeekeakua Bay instead of Kohala Coast or Kona). We are looking to enjoy 2 weeks on holiday, and the Yucatan is easy for us to get too and seems to have lots to do. We are relatively new divers. Have been diving 3 years- and all in Hawaii- We usually do 4 days diving there every year that we go. When we look at the Yucatan, we are a little overwhelmed by how package tourist it seems to be, and how busy it is. We figure with renting a car for some or all of the trip we can explore and get a little off the beaten path.

We have about 25-30 dives, PADI open water, have done 1 night dive.

So here are our questions- I would love some insight

1. We are thinking of heading to Cozumel for 2-3 days, probably doing 2 days of diving. We do get a little concerned about all the cruise ships that dock, the numbers of people there (we are used to diving on a max 6 people boat at sites that are empty of others). But the diving looks great- Is it? Is it worth the time to go there- and stay in a little busier place?

2. Xcalak- When I look here- it looks beautiful- very chill- But is it too quiet? And the diving? Does it compare in any way to Cozumel? (I understand that they are different- I wouldn't expect them to be the same- what is different). Is it worth the 5 hour drive down to go there?
We would probably stay longer and do a few days of diving.

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

I don't have a desire to dive the Cenotes- more called to ocean diving.

Thanks so much for all your help. I will also post in the Cozumel Forum if it lets me:)
Asrael

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are thinking of heading to the Yucatan in April for 2 weeks. We are planning on doing a few days of diving and was hoping to gain some insight from you all here. I have searched the forum, but didn't get a clear idea of what would be best.

A little bit about us and what we are looking for. We are in our late 30's/early 40's and like to stay of the beaten path. We aren't into really touristy places, and try to find low key places to stay wherever we go (Example in Hawaii we head to Kealeekeakua Bay instead of Kohala Coast or Kona). We are looking to enjoy 2 weeks on holiday, and the Yucatan is easy for us to get too and seems to have lots to do. We are relatively new divers. Have been diving 3 years- and all in Hawaii- We usually do 4 days diving there every year that we go. When we look at the Yucatan, we are a little overwhelmed by how package tourist it seems to be, and how busy it is. We figure with renting a car for some or all of the trip we can explore and get a little off the beaten path.

We have about 25-30 dives, PADI open water, have done 1 night dive.

So here are our questions- I would love some insight

1. We are thinking of heading to Cozumel for 2-3 days, probably doing 2 days of diving. We do get a little concerned about all the cruise ships that dock, the numbers of people there (we are used to diving on a max 6 people boat at sites that are empty of others). But the diving looks great- Is it? Is it worth the time to go there- and stay in a little busier place?

2. Xcalak- When I look here- it looks beautiful- very chill- But is it too quiet? And the diving? Does it compare in any way to Cozumel? (I understand that they are different- I wouldn't expect them to be the same- what is different). Is it worth the 5 hour drive down to go there?
We would probably stay longer and do a few days of diving.

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

I don't have a desire to dive the Cenotes- more called to ocean diving.

Thanks so much for all your help. I will also post in the Cozumel Forum if it lets me:)
Asrael

There are huge differences between Cozumel & Xcalak. Cozumel= direct flights, very westernized, crowded/traffic, cruise boat people by the 1000's. Xcalak= 5 hr. drive from Cancun Airport, not westernized/what Yucatan used to be, no cruise boats. But housing is off the grid: electricity is solar power, water is rainwater/cistern. The village does have 120 v. but all houses/B&B's are down the beach road. Diving is fantastic in Cozumel but beaucoups of dive boats every morning in a race to get to the best dive sites. Diving around Xcalak is good but not the nice wall dives around Cozumel. The draw to Xcalak for diving is diving at Banco Chinchorro, 20 mi. offshore. Incredible & pristine! You may not see another person much less a dive boat out there. A happy median for comfort would be to stay in Mahahual, down the coast from Xcalak. AC, restaurants, etc. I stayed there my last trip down after Tropical Storm Harvey spooked me out of Xcalak. There are other posts about Xcalak & Mahahual on ScubaBoard, just search.
20160525_083216.jpg
20160525_083143.jpg

What a surprise, you got lots more answers on the Cozumel branch. Have to agree with the folks there that 3-4 days of Cozumel diving would be a better complement to a Yucatan trip. The cruise folks are surprisingly easy to avoid, and the diving is great, more varied than Akumal or Puerto Morelos (haven’t tried Xcalak TBH). Plenty of six-pack operators. Probably best to ferry over from Playa del Carmen without a car?

For the rest, a road trip away from the coast will make your trip more affordable and interesting. Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree Mexico forum has some knowledgeable commenters. Loved Ek Balam as well as all the other usual Mayan ruins (stay overnight near Chichen Itza to see it before the buses arrive from Cancun); further afield, Calakmul, Xpujil and Campeche in general are on the bucket list.

Thanks so much!
The pics of Mahahaul look beautiful-
Definitely seems like for our time- it is going to be best to go to Cozumel for a few days- and just stay away from the main drag.. Maybe will head south to Mahahual for some beach time- .... I think I have to let go of the idea of sandy beachs, and blue waters unless we do, that.. as things are just crazy expensive in the Tulum area- and Playa seems way to built up...

We definitely will take time inland... and get away from the coast- that is part of why we picked yucatan, instead of pacific coast- just so that we could explore and see the ruins, not just have a beach holiday:) Thanks so much !!!

One more thing on logistics —it might be most efficient to take the ADO bus to Playa, ferry to Cozumel, and not rent a car till you are back in Playa. Easyway and America get good reviews; have been okay with Easyway, but trying America for next trip, and they will let you pick up in Playa/drop off at Cancun airport. If you feel you must have a car on Cozumel, then Isis is good. Taxis or a scooter are also an option to get out of town.
For your last night before flying home, consider the town of Puerto Morelos. There is reasonably-priced accommodation, a decent beach and good little restaurants, and it’s 20-30 minutes away from the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom