YS-D1 Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinG58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Three years old, about 70 dives a year. One of my two has taken to shutting off on ascent. Yesterday I watched the light go out with the switch still "on" and no fingers or kit near it, as I hit 20 feet. While troubleshooting a couple of weeks ago I noticed it sometimes would not power up topside, but would power up at depth.

Seems pressure related. Could it be as simple as the contacts on the inside of the cap need a tweak or cleaning?

I'm a little reluctant to just start bending and the like on it. Both strobes have been trouble free until now, my only problems up till have been a rechargeable battery gone bad and a optical cable that was pinched.

Interesting. I use two of them as well, and have yet to see that. But where would ambient pressure be transmitted? AFAIK, the oring seals keep the inside of the strobe at surface pressure. The only thing that might receive differential pressure might be the low level manual light switch. Am I wrong?

Interesting. I use two of them as well, and have yet to see that. But where would ambient pressure be transmitted? AFAIK, the oring seals keep the inside of the strobe at surface pressure. The only thing that might receive differential pressure might be the low level manual light switch. Am I wrong?

I don't know! My only wild guess would be if a contact is marginal and the cap compressed just that little bit, it then makes good contact. But you could be on to something with the switch. Hmmmm.

Just to ask the obvious: is the auto power-off mode kicking in?

Just to ask the obvious: is the auto power-off mode kicking in?
Good question. During this latest oddity, I think I had shot within 10 minutes before hitting 15 feet. Certainly less than the 30 minute auto off.
And the other strobe didn't shut off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom