YS-90 Strobes and Fiber Optic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any creative ideas for using fiber optic cables with a YS-90 strobe and not removing the diffuser attachment? I'm mostly shoot macro. Maybe I don't need the diffuser?

What I've consider so far:
1) I know there's an official attachment, if you can find it in stock, which replaces the diffuser attachment and has a hole for a fiber optic cable. These things $55 and not really in stock.
2) On ebay, there's a listing similar to the official, but yet again, you have to remove the diffuser. Shipping is also ridiculous ($35 for 2) and added to the cost to buy, is way over priced. Shipping is from China and will take over a month.
3) There's a custom diffuser attachment on ebay which supports the optical cable. The thing is big, ugly, and expensive. Shipping is from China and will take over a month.
4) Find some sort of edge clip which can hold a cable. I'm concerned it may fall off or the cable move and not work. Plus couldn't find a usable clip.
5) Glue an inon fiber optic adapter onto the strobes using epoxy. Adapters are $10 a piece and epoxy is like 4$. Is kinda ghetto, but should do the job.
6) I've seen some cables which have a glow end which could be glued to the strobe face, but couldn't find any I could buy in the US or shipping will take months.
7) Buy newer strobes. Pretty expensive.

Any other ideas out there?

I would glue this piece onto the sensor. The piece is $5 or so. Alternatively glue an Inon cap for the sensor. A bit more $. 1654335546906.png

for glue this will work t $3.00. So in for $8.00 more or less.
One thing to remember is that the strobe is NOT terribly reliable when triggered optically.
Bill

Attachments

• 1654335926954.png
    1654335926954.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 80
I would glue this piece onto the sensor. The piece is $5 or so. Alternatively glue an Inon cap for the sensor. A bit more $. View attachment 726431

for glue this will work t $3.00. So in for $8.00 more or less.
One thing to remember is that the strobe is NOT terribly reliable when triggered optically.
Bill

This is essentially what I'm planning to do. I'm also in the market for newer strobes, but looking for a deal I can't pass up

When buying strobes, if all I'm saving is $100, then I'd rather buy new.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for using fiber optic cables with a YS-90 strobe and not removing the diffuser attachment? I'm mostly shoot macro. Maybe I don't need the diffuser?

What I've consider so far:
1) I know there's an official attachment, if you can find it in stock, which replaces the diffuser attachment and has a hole for a fiber optic cable. These things $55 and not really in stock.
2) On ebay, there's a listing similar to the official, but yet again, you have to remove the diffuser. Shipping is also ridiculous ($35 for 2) and added to the cost to buy, is way over priced. Shipping is from China and will take over a month.
3) There's a custom diffuser attachment on ebay which supports the optical cable. The thing is big, ugly, and expensive. Shipping is from China and will take over a month.
4) Find some sort of edge clip which can hold a cable. I'm concerned it may fall off or the cable move and not work. Plus couldn't find a usable clip.
5) Glue an inon fiber optic adapter onto the strobes using epoxy. Adapters are $10 a piece and epoxy is like 4$. Is kinda ghetto, but should do the job.
6) I've seen some cables which have a glow end which could be glued to the strobe face, but couldn't find any I could buy in the US or shipping will take months.
7) Buy newer strobes. Pretty expensive.

Any other ideas out there?
Go ghetto! Which YS-90 model?

For an optical cable mount, consider cutting a cross-section from the barrel of one of the cheap ball point pens you have stuffed in a drawer. You may have to try a few to find a size that S&S optic cables stuff into.

Go ghetto! Which YS-90 model?

For an optical cable mount, consider cutting a cross-section from the barrel of one of the cheap ball point pens you have stuffed in a drawer. You may have to try a few to find a size that S&S optic cables stuff into.

Unfortunately it's the Auto, which means I can't do manual. The pen idea isn't a bad one. I ordered the port adapters which should arrive in a few days. If they don't work, I might try what you said. I've got some feelers out for used strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom