YS-03 x 2 not firing under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own one YS-03 and my dive buddy owns one. His was sent out to S&S when it was failing to fire under water. They found nothing and returned it. Now mine is doing the same.

We both have always used cheaper optic cables. Currently I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PRK942/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My strobe was working fine, somehow I snapped the cable and put a brand new cable (same model as the one listed and as the one I was using). Works fine on land and in a bathtub. Does not fire during the dive.

Any ideas?
Can optic cables freeze? We are diving 36-40F waters.

Update: Put the cable in the freezer for 2 hours and the strobe still worked on land. Why would it not fire under water? We now have two strobes with the same issue.

These strobes are known to be sensitive to having the right fibre optic cable, the cheap cables may not work with it, you could also check the glass under the fibre optic port is clean, that was causing one strobe to not fire. As to why the strobe won't fire UW, the water may reduce the transmission enough to be a problem. If you don't want to pay top $ for cables, you could source your own quality 613 cable and make your own. You can get bolt on cable ends from INON for like $8 each or less, I think Reef photo has them. This thread has some options for making your own cables. Best Trigger or Cable for Backscatter Mini Flash MF-1

Thanks! That helps. I did just shell out the money to see if that would help the issue.

Sometimes you can get an air bubble between the end of the fiber and the trigger of the strobe. taking the fiber out and "burping" the air out often helps. Making your own cables is pretty simple.
Bill

Update: Forked up the cash for the S&S optic cable. It is thicker than the cheaper ones I had been purchasing. The strobe fired just fine on my last dive with the new cable. I read that the S&S YS line has small sensor areas so likely needing a larger cable is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom