your thoughts on some gear before I purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isp475

Reaction score
Well, my wife and I finished our OW dives and got our SSI cert while vacationing in Kauai, Hawaii. We like it so much that we couldn't stop diving. We went on several dives with a shop in Koloa and saw some great things, lava tubes, sharks, octopus and numerous endemic species. We are considering purchasing our own equipment now and had the opportunity to dive with the items I listed below. If anyone has used any of the equipment below or all of it and one time or another and has some wisdom to share I would greatly appreciate it. I think through the research that I have looked at that I couldn't go wrong with any of them.

BC-
Mares Vector Platinum MRS
Aqualung Malibu RDS
Seaquest Balance BC

Reg-
Mares MR22 Abyss and Octo
Aqualung Titan LX Supreme and Octo

Computer and Gauge-
Oceanic Data Plus 2 Navcon console
Suunto Favor console or Tusa Imprex II (same computer)

What is the deal with the warranty on these? If I buy them mail order, like Divers Supply or something, do I still get the warranty service, etc if I go to the LDS for the CIP, BCP, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Don't know about wisdom, but I can share my opinions. All my diving is recreational and tropical, so if you're thinking about diving wrecks in the Great Lakes, they might not be relevant.

I have a Titan LX (regular version -- as far as I know, the only difference is the dry chamber on the Supreme). It honked appallingly when it was new -- sounded like an asthmatic cow during buddy checks -- but is better now, after 30-odd dives. Hose arrangement is a big plus for a short person like me.

I've used a Favor but chose to buy a Vyper. The Vyper's display is bigger and clearer, it's nitrox compatible (might be useful in the future), there's the option to download dives to a PC (if you spring for the cable), it counts down your safety stop, and it uses a newer algorithm. I wear it on my wrist -- more convenient during the dive (IMO), more convenient for logging dives afterwards. Having to take it off to get into and out of my wetsuit is a pain, but life's like that.

Zept

I can't comment on your selections as I use ScubaPro gear except for a Mares computor. I'm not big on on-line purchasing for stuff that breaks or tears. It's too difficult getting it back to the vendor and what do you use in the interim??? See the thread on on-lone purchasing.

Hi,

Have you tryed on any of the BCs? The Vector Platinum is very different from the Malibu and Balance. All are weight integrated.
MAke sure which ever one you choose is comfortable for you. MAres BC's are quite bulky. The Balance weight system is entirely dependant on Velcro, which has its downfalls.

The Regs, Mares Abyss is on its way out...... from what i understand they are going to their smaller format of the Proton for most of their regs. Monstrosity of a 1st stage.
Titan LX nice simple reg, reliable.

Computer, put the money towards a Suunto Vyper, you'll appreciate it down the road if not right away.

Some manufacturers state that if equipment is purchased online they aren't covered under warranty, you may want to look into this with the manufacturers.

Without going into details about your choices, I will offer the following general advice on selecting gear:

1. Comfort is the major thing. Be sure on all items that are size dependant that you make sure your LDS fits you correctly. Comfort also includes operation of the gear. So be sure you're happy with where pockets are, how the regulator fits your mouth, how your mask and fins fit, etc.

2. Longivity of use is the next thing. Try to consider where you will be in your diving career 3-5 years down the line. And then purchase the best equipment you can afford for that type of diving. This will prevent you from making expensive purchase mistakes when you discover what you have won't support your new diving passion.

For example: If you see yourself doing serious wreck diving, using doubles, or heading to deeper depths, then there is a particular class of equipment (regs, BC's, exposure protection) that covers that and you should purchase for that style of diving. All will work fine for 60-80 fsw recreational diving. But when you're ready to take the next step, you will already have the foundation for that step.

Yes, the inital upfront cost is more, but you're less likely to replace major bits. And in most cases, the increased cost does reflect increased quality and performance. But choosing the wrong type of gear will cost you more in the long run (and I'm a victim of this!)

There are many divers using this level of gear and will be glad to provide info on what they are using.

3. Your computer should support Nitrox. While you might be diving air for a while, you will be using Nitrox soon enough.

4. Continue doing research, renting, trying, diving, and anything else that helps you make a good purchase decision.

To answer your question about purchasing online, you can search back through the threads about online buying for my position. But simply stated, I prefer purchasing my life support equipment from someone who I build a trusting relationship with so that I know that when a problem occurs, I've got a reliable and immediate source for help.

Before purchasing gear you should rent several different stlyes from your LDS. This should give you a feel about fit and performance

I agree with the key items that TexasMike pointed out, I also believe that you should purchase your gear from your LDS.

In every case when I was looking at gear at my LDS, he made it very easy for me to try it out. He would bring the gear to the pool training class and let me use it during the class time. He has also fixed my gear days before I was leaving on a trip, no extra cost was applied.

I do not think that you can get that type of service from a mail order house.

One more thing to think about, it tough to get your tanks filled from an on-line supplier. The LDS makes his living off of selling gear, most air fills do not even cover the cost to maintain the compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom