Your thoughts for my S400 AVON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Well First I wanted to say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays To You all,

I have enjoyed reading all of your post and thank you.

For some time after leaving the military I have wanted a inflatable dive boat.
So santa delievered a S400 used but in great shape.

so im looking for some advice.

let me inform you of what i will be doing with it.
I will be diving off of it with atleast 1 to 2 other divers. In Long island N.Y. either north shore or south shore.
I will be diving off of jetties or going as far as the weather conditions are doable.
I will be putting atleast 4tanks, 3 spearguns, anchor, weights, bc's, all of safety gear I.E. flares, cell phones etc...

to be honest I have no idea what engine to go with. or what stroke? My old man says to buy a 25hp two stroke but he doesnt even know how to swim..haha j/k.
or should i buy a 15 4 stroke..its obvious i need some help with understanding 2 and 4 strokes and Horespower.
so if you could help without all of that critizing that would be helpful...

some other questions, what other equiptment should i be looking at to make my trips safe and enjoyable.

Happy Hoildays

J.D.

As I recall the S400 is a 4 meter inflatable with plywood floor boards? If that’s the case I had about the same boat in a zodiac but I had the aluminum floor. I had a 40HP Nissan 2 stroke. On that boat I would go with one of the new generation 2 strokes if you can and if you plan on loading it down with 2-3 divers go as big of a motor as the boat will allow. I had 4 divers in mine and I needed all that motor had to offer. I say go with a 2 stroke because they are significant lighter then a 4 and the new generation don’t smoke nearly as bad and offer great fuel economy. Another thing is do you plan on putting it on a trailer? If not look at the weights even with a partner I wouldn’t want to carry the 40HP motor to and from the boat. If you are only going from the beach to the jetty they you could probably get a way with a 25 HP but it would be working really hard and wouldn’t leave you any reserve if you needed it to get out of trouble. I.E. getting pushed by waves, current and or wind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom