your reverse block cure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If during my dive I feel I have a reverse block, is there anything I can do to continue on my ascent and at the same time relieve the block? Would hate to blow the eardrums on the ascent because I'm running low on air and can't fix the problem.

Hold your nose and swallow. This creates a vacuum in your eustation tubes and helps to draw out excess pressure, thus a kind of "reverse equalize". It should help.

I have a reverse block all too often and it usually causes me dizziness. Here's what I do:

The answer is to descend! To a depth where there is no discomfort. Then, try to equalize by VERY slightly over pressurizing the ears, which seems to open the tubes back up for me. Then try to suck the air out of your ears as described above and then re-start the ascent...

If that doesn't work, then RE-DESCEND, remove the mask, blow your nose, and put the mask back on and try to go up. Swallowing and wiggling the jaw on ascent also help when there is a minor problem.

Don't dive with a head cold or sinus issues.
If I think there is a chance of one,
I take 2 Sudafed a half hour befor splashdown.
Works for me,of course I dive less aggressively when taking it.
Oh, and what Bruce saidworks as long as it doesn't jamb completely closed.
Besides, I'd be more worried about finishing the dive with a mask full of sinuses
that ear drums ruptured. But hey, thats just me thinking of the worst.

Drop down a few feet until the pressure lessens then you can probably work it out. If you seem to be prone to ear problems you should allow yourself more time/air for ascent. My sister has trouble equalizing as she descends so when we dive together we use a higher turn back pressure than I would when I would be diving alone.

SparticleBrane:
Hold your nose and swallow. This creates a vacuum in your eustation tubes and helps to draw out excess pressure, thus a kind of "reverse equalize". It should help.

Do the above pluse the normal rocking of your head and working your jaw - Allot of times if you will point your head at the bottom while doing this it helps - as most folks tend to feel the pressure in their upper synus cavitys

Drop down a few feet and rock your head left to right.

Pete

All of the above is very good, but they miss the most valid methodology.

Do a "reverse valsalva".

What's Valsalva? That's the "pinch and blow". To go diving, many of us have to do this. The trick with any descent is to start your dive on the boat! By this, I mean that we commonly pinch and blow well before flopping in. Equalize early and often.

To prepare for a descent, we try to inflate our sinus cavities with extra air so that as we descend into the pressure, our sinus cavities (attached to the ears) stay expanded and happy.

As we ascend, all of that air must expand and be released. If those ducts are inflamed, the trapped, expanding air has nowhere to go. Yeeeouch!

If it does not, that's where reverse block comes in. You'll know it when you have it. I spend an extra half hour talking with students about this while in class. While it's happening in the water, there is no opportunity for coherent discussion.

Descend to comfortable level. Relax. Try the simpler above jaw rolling methods.

Failing that, do a reverse Valsalva. That would be: Pinch and suck. It works.

Other methods would add the not-so-gentle thumb pressure massage (while doing the reverse Valsalva).

The most common (and most painful) reverse block zone is "your eyebrow" area. Put your thumbs into that soft spot above your eye's tear duct and massage away. That's where the inflamed duct is.

Like Chevy Chase used to say from his news desk telephone on SNL, "Don't blow, suck !"

Back
Top Bottom