Your Helmet Choice and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a wreck diver who never wanted to dive caves but in the last year or so I have had this unrelenting desire to dive caves.

With that end in mind, I have been looking at the different options for helmets and wondered what you have chosen and why you made that decision.

Light Monkey. When I needed one, there were no other options in the shop. It is a good helmet, and very popular among cave divers. I had to remove all inner parts, including the strap because the biggest size they offer was too small for my head. Nevertheless, it sits comfortably on the hood. I drilled holes in the helmet and fitted a bungee for a strap. Works perfectly. I got a black one. With some more experience, I wish I chose a brighter and less common colour to make it easier for my buddies to recognize me in the dark.

I am a wreck diver who never wanted to dive caves but in the last year or so I have had this unrelenting desire to dive caves.

With that end in mind, I have been looking at the different options for helmets and wondered what you have chosen and why you made that decision.

why do you need a helmet. It’s completely unnecessary for the majority of cave diving. Unless you’re actual side mount diving. But if you’re not cave certified it will be a while till you’re at that point

I use a Petzl climbing helmet, but I'd second what @rddvet said and say that I'd question whether you really need one. I use mine to mount ackup lights and I keep a small one on during the whole dive which makes seeing tasks with my hands easier. Also convenient to mount a gopro, but unless you have really solid technique, most gopro video shot from a helmet is not watchable since it is too shaky.

While I have it, I don't use it all the time *though I do much prefer it when using a scooter*, but it's not something I'd consider a "required" item for diving.

Helmets are an unnecessary evil. I have a Camp climbing helmet that I had to strip the guts out of to fit over a hood. I hate it but some of my cave dives require dry caving to get there and you have to have a helmet or you risk your noggin.

Some people were trained or developed the habit of putting backup lights on their helmets. Helmets pose all sorts of issue for gas sharing that are underappreciated. Get cave trained, add a helmet only when the cave requires it - which wont be anytime soon for a beginner.

Seems necessary to me. Unless you are an octopus how do you propose carrying all those lights?

0109france001.jpg

Seems necessary to me. Unless you are an octopus how do you propose carrying all those lights?

View attachment 580649
Those UK lights are pretty vintage, as is using a jacket BC as a sidemount rig. You'd probably be surprised at the sumps that got dove with helmet mounted lights in the 1990s when that pic was taken. Some were pretty ballsy dives.

Those UK lights are pretty vintage, as is using a jacket BC as a sidemount rig. You'd probably be surprised at the sumps that got dove with helmet mounted lights in the 1990s when that pic was taken. Some were pretty ballsy dives.
I know. I have a couple of those lights. I just haven't mounted them to my Petzl helmet yet.

I trashed all my old UKs, those C cell lights are just too heavy out of the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom