Your favorite way of securing octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Loop the hose inside the BCD "pocket" or clip it somewhere?

I clip it, my bcd does not have any pockets

Bungee around my neck if preferred. If I'm using my back inflate I'll use the attached octo holder, it works ok.

Mine's on a bungee around my neck as well. Before I switched to primary donate, my favorite method was the mouthpiece through a snorkel or octo keeper looped around the right chest d-ring.

IMG_20201216_213511526_HDR~2.jpg

When I used to dive a "standard recreational" hose setup there was never a great answer that was streamlined and easy to work with. I used one of the octo holders posted above, and stuffed the loop of hose into the bcd behind my back under the cushion pad to keep it out of the way. But it would inevitably pop out. Often the reg would end up shoved in a pocket or cummerbund.

Then I switched to a DIR primary-donate configuration with primary on a 7' long hose and secondary on a necklace. It's FAR more streamlined and better in the water for many reasons. No big loops of hose flapping around looking stupid. In addition to that and obviously improved air-sharing, I like the safety of always knowing my octo is right next to my mouth and the primary is easy to find if I lose a reg or fall down in the water on entry or exit. Though if I'm being totally honest its very slightly more annoying to don/doff with the extra short step of managing stuff around my neck.

holy crap. i thought you were talking about the animals. so glad you weren't.

on a bungee around my neck.

haha that is exactly what i thought when i saw the title :)

also keep mine on my neck. aqualung abs (same as apeks egress). lays nice and flat and can be used by myself or another diver as there is no "upside down".

aqualung abs (same as apeks egress).

They look nearly the same but I believe the Egress is a balanced reg and the ABS is not.

I dive long-hose primary donate with a bungeed alternate/octo. It is right under my chin at all times. If anyone needs air from me they get my primary donated to them. The octo is for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom