DIR- Generic Your depth for shooting an SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for Tech 2 divers. When you are doing your dives below 200, do you do free ascent to your first stop and then shoot and smb? or do you shoot an smb from max depth and climb it all the way up? For 200 ft dives you need a cave reel instead of an ascent spool but all the DIR videos I have seen show ascent with a spool.

Question for Tech 2 divers. When you are doing your dives below 200, do you do free ascent to your first stop and then shoot and smb? or do you shoot an smb from max depth and climb it all the way up? For 200 ft dives you need a cave reel instead of an ascent spool but all the DIR videos I have seen show ascent with a spool.
DSMB* a SMB will explode lol.

What are the currents like in your area?

Depends on what i'm doing, if there is a lot of current or if I'm afraid my driver will lose me without the buoy i shoot it at the bottom. Othervise I start at my first 2 min stop.

I usually don't deploy a DSMB until my 20-foot stop. The majority of my dives at the Tech 2 level have taken place in the St. Lawrence River. Dive operators on the U.S. side don't like doing drift diving as a general rule. Deploying a marker unless practicing is rare because we free ascend to the boat or a mooring line. But in Canada, I deploy a DSMB on just about every dive. Drift diving is the most popular method of diving on the Canadian side of the river. We free ascend and drift with a fast current along vertical walls where the occasional outcropping can snag the line if you deploy your DSMB at depth. The best method is to wait until you reach a shallow stop. Once up top, we are usually no longer drifting and are just hovering in calm water near shore. We'll deploy DSMBs with 3 - 5 minutes of deco stop time remaining. The boats pick us up soon after we surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom