• just the 100% during the dive AL40

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • just the 100% during the dive AL80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • also a tank of O2 on the boat

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should take what you need to complete your planned dive safely. It's always good to have O2 on a boat, but there is no need to carry extra in the water. If your dive plan calls for 100% O2, the bottle should be clipped properly, charged before the dive then valve closed so there is no accidental gas loss during the dive.

I've always got bottle of O2 on the boat or shore, I consider it part of my first aid kit at any dive site for any type of diving. If everyone has a bottle of O2, even better, but that will not keep me from bringing additional myself.

I always bring twice the amount of gas I need for deco. Enough for me, and enough for a friend (or the drive home).

Dive operators here in south florida always have emergency O2 so it isn't neccesary to bring an extra along with me

I am not 100% sure I understand the question. I think you are saying you are a boat captain who carries emergency oxygen on the boat, and you are wondering if tech divers also bring oxygen with them that they leave on the boat for use in an emergency. By that, I am not sure what emergency you are talking about--getting DCS symptoms after leaving the water, or needed additional O2 sent down to you during decompression.

In either case, I have never noticed anyone bringing additional oxygen on a dive boat for emergency purposes.

When I dive in New Mexico, I always have additional oxygen, but in that case I am the only source of it, and we are a long way from a chamber.

I always bring twice the amount of gas I need for deco. Enough for me, and enough for a friend (or the drive home).

I normally bring 3X what I need for one dive. That way, on Dive 2, I have enough for two if needed. Also, it makes my lost gas plans work, as a rule, so it kills two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the replies :) however I realize maybe my question was not asked clearly.
- We all have learned how to plan Tec dives, I hope as we are in the tec forum, so we should all know how much gas we need for the dive and what amount extra is needed.
- Almost all boat operators take additional O2 for emergencies so when we are on a chartered boat their O2 maybe enough

BUT:
What if we charter our own boat or just go for a quarry dive normally we would also take a tank of O2 for an eventual emergency. But what if its a Tec dive and there are 3 of us with our O2 for the dive(we only need 33% or 66%(depending on training) if all goes well) How many of you, in That case, take an additional O2 tank for emergencies. Considering that you already have a few O2 tanks with you.

Just to clarify, I Always take an additional O2 tank, however recently someone told me it was over kill, and I'm curious what others think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom