Youngest sidemount diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well I'm thirteen and I am A sidemount diver:D getting overhead trained next month. Has anyone heard of someone younger than me getting sidemount? I don't take crap from older divers about not knowing anything or being "less qualified". If you don't think I'm legit I dive with the Hollis SMS 50 with a continuous piece of bungee cord not the stuff they give you in the box. I use the Hollis 212/DC1 reg package with miflex hoses and omni swivels both On reg necklaces. With a hollis LED 15 can light. With a backup Intova Search Light. What do you use and do you have any recommendations for me no negative comments please.

I don't see any big issue. Side mount is not just overhead environments and is becoming pretty mainstream now anyway. And you won't be getting certified for any overhead diving (or doing it right?) for another 5 years anyway.

As for your request in not wanting any "crap from older divers" and "about knowing anything" or being "less qualified" - as a 48 year old diver with multiple overhead certs and 27 years of diving experience (more than twice the time you've even been alive), and in addition as a father who survived the teen age child experience - I guess I have no comments that I can make.

I'd like to know who is letting a minor do overhead training. At least one under 15 or 16 and what agency is this through?
And that don't take crap attitude would get you kicked out of any class I teach. Along with your parents for raising such a disrepectful kid.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I don't take crap from older divers . . .

Adapted from Alice Cooper without permission. . .

Lines form on my face and hands
Lines form from the ups and downs
I´m in the middle, without any plans
I´m a boy and I´m a man.

I´m thirteen
And I don´t know what I want
Thirteen
I just don´t know what I want
Thirteen
I gotta get away
Thirteen
I gotta get out of this place
I´ll go runnin´ in outer space
Oh yeah.

I got a
Baby´s brain and an old man´s heart
Took thirteen years to get this far
Don´t always know what I´m talkin´ about
Feels like I´m livin´ in the middle of doubt
Cause I´m thirteen
I get confused every day
Thirteen
I just don´t know what to say
Thirteen
I gotta get away.

Lines form on my face and my hands
Lines form on the left and right
I´m the middle
The middle of life
I´m a boy and I´m a man
I´m thirteen and I like it
Yes I like it
Oh, I like it
Love it, like it, love it
Thirteen, Thirteen, Thirteen
I´m thirteen and I like it.
:D :D :D

Fortunately my two sons are well past that period

John N

the first thing you need to learn about diving is that you have a lot to learn about diving. The next thing is that you are going to learn these things from older divers.

Congratulations on your sidemount certification, that is a big accomplishment, especially at your age.

...I'm thirteen ... I don't take crap from older divers ... If you don't think I'm legit ... do you have any recommendations for me no negative comments please.

It is not a "negative comment" but you should really think about ditching the "don't take crap" or "legit" attitude. We ALL are judged everyday by others and the only way to gain respect is to earn it. That is best done through our actions. Your extra comments are over shadowing your accomplishments.

I also STRONGLY suggest that you read the book Diver Down. Truely read it, it is full of examples of divers with misplaced attitude, confidence and lack of respect for diving, but it is very educational as well.

Diver Down.jpg

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/book-media-reviews/412054-diver-down-question.html

Congratulations on your accomplishment; I wish that I could have been diving at your age.

I'd like to know who is letting a minor do overhead training. At least one under 15 or 16 and what agency is this through?
And that don't take crap attitude would get you kicked out of any class I teach. Along with your parents for raising such a disrepectful kid.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
I had similar thoughts but didn't express them. I am not aware of any agency that does overhead training for a 13 year old.

Experience and judgment issues aside (not a negative just a developmental reality for a 13 year old - and I have an advanced degree in counseling that allows me to say that as professional opinion), it's unclear what effects deep and or decompression diving may have on people who are still developing (growth plates, etc).

Consequently, I am not aware of any responsible overhead instructors who would actually teach overhead skills to a 13 year old, even if an agency was silent on the age limit.

---

To the OP, you are 13, if you can prevent an attack of "stupid", keep the attitude in check, and listen to older divers, the odds are you will have a very long diving career - as in probably 50 plus years - so take your time, enjoy everything each step has to offer and let your skills develop at a normal rate. Nobody gets a reward for being the youngest technical diver. As noted above, going too far, too fast won't get you respect, and neither will blowing off the advice of more experienced divers and in the end you want to take care to ensure you don't become famous for being the youngest technical diver recovered from a cave or wreck.

Yea, replace those "OmniSwivels of Death"! with a fixed 70, 90, or 110 degree swivel or one of these: Swivel [SM swivel] - $25.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Dave

Secinding this whole heartedly. Hemisphere swivels are the ony source of total gear failure I have ever seen, and experienced. After the recall, I am surprised someone started making them again.

Especially since they end with weird directionality to their swiveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom