You want to go deep? Very deep? And indoor? (Nemo33)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The deepest indoor pool in the world is in Belgium!

33 metres (about 100') at a constant of 31°C (I'm lost with °F, sorry).

It opened on May, 1rst in the Brussels suburbs and I had my first try at it last night.

Nice big pool, nice new equipment (access fees include everything except for fins, mask and computer), and great playing ground, not to mention great opportunity for training in safe conditions for beginners to advanced students.

If you want to see some pics: http://skynet.photoways.com/partena...p6dGIqa3xFVE4=&

I'll probably go there again in the near future with a recently certified OW student of mine before we start talking about AOW, as the conditions outside are still pretty wintry.

Anyone in the area who might be interested to have a go any evening during the week except for Wednesdays or during the week-end, please PM me!

This is the same depth as the Submarine escape training tank, operated by the Royal Navy :wink: , at Portsmouth in the UK.
follow this link

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/3940.html

It was built in the 50's

Hopeing to go there this summer, don't know if I can have a go though???

But I hope so :wink:

Just checked my computer: it says 34.4 and I didn't put it flat on the floor.

I suppose that beats a few complaints on same depth elsewhere?

Site lists "three air-filled bells". What, can you just pop your head up and breathe out of 'em? That sounds pretty neat, like those waystations the Aquarius habitat has.

Also lists "underwater caves". I suppose they're for cave and cavern training purposes? Cool.

Thirdly, claims not to have "chlorine odours". Does that mean the water is treated using some other method, like bromine or ozonation? The Offshore Technology Research Tank we have locally (large 6m pool with 15m deep well) uses chlorine, but it's much diluter as very few people actually go into it. As this NEMO joint is geared for people, I wouldn't think they could go for the chlorine dilution route.

Just got back from a trip to Nemo33.

It is definitely worthwile going there when you are AOW or higher. They allow OW upto a depth of 10 meters and there is not much to see there. Apart from the crystal clear water and 2 wetbells.

The main attraction for me was the pit that goes down to 35 meters (according to my Mosquito: 34,5 :wink: ).

But, let's start at the beginning.

When you arrive you need to show 4 documents (certification, dive insurance, diving medical examination, ID). You then can have a drink in the bar. From the bar you can look into the pool at a depth of 5 meters.

At 30 minutes before time you are allowed to go to the changing room (using the showers is mandatory).
Once you are at the poolside you're given a brief instruction about the dive. The first 10 minutes must be spent swimming or snorkling, to get used to the pool. Afterwards you can gear up and start diving. After 55 minutes you are given a signal that it's time to leave the pool.

Above the pit, at 5 meters depth, is a 12L tank of air for emergencies.

There's a ladder going down to the bottom of the pit, quite useful for checking your speed while descending/ascending.

Most divers try to get their computer as flat as possible on the floor to get the maximum depth. Of course, lots of pictures get taken as well. Visibility is perfect.

Afterwards you can have pretty good Thai food in the restaurant (for a very reasonable price).

All equipment is provided for you (Aqualung).

Entrance fee only EUR 15,00.

All in all a nice daytrip, especially if you combine it with a visit to Brussels or Kinepolis.

I would love to see pictures. I am going to be jumping the pond for work in October and I think I found a side trip that I need to take.

Back
Top Bottom