You know you're vintage when----

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
You are on a cattle boat and some "dude" with a tongue ring tells you that your "old" gear is "like" way cool and asks you if your related to that "guy" in the old TV show that plays on ancient rerun channels. Now, normaly I would think you would have figured that I would have considered that as a compliment as well you fellows certainly would --- huh? Then he yells over to his gf, I assume, and tells her to look at all the old guages with needles. Thing is, I did not have my vintage gear on, in fact I was in my finest and most modern rig!!! It was about that time that I considered that the newest piece of gear on my person was bought in 1988 and that I was the only one without a computer. Hmmm, maybe it is time for some new gear--nah. I was gonna ask him if he was a DIR guy and if he wouldn't mind if I clipped my bug bag to his tongue D-ring but his lady friend seemed awfully pleasent so I decided to let him live, you know, for her. N (all in jest and teasing--no actual "dudes" were harmed in the stated ocurrence above)

The oldest person on the dive boat keeps refering to you as "Sir".

I just wanna know what station still plays seahunt reruns. Go find the "dude" again and ask him.

What is the DIR standard size for a tongue ring anyhow?? I am assuming it has to be stainless steel, so mine conforms to that, but I want to know if it should be screwed in from the top or the bottom to be DIR...?

:wink:

"What is the DIR standard size for a tongue ring anyhow?? I am assuming it has to be stainless steel, so mine conforms to that, but I want to know if it should be screwed in from the top or the bottom to be DIR...?"

I don't know for sure but I imagine they have to be a machined one piece unit without any welding and a 30 degree angle. Darn, for years I just usd old shoelaces and whatever kinda rope I found lying about on the bottom to tie my gear off with and here come to tell I find there is a method to it. Well, blow me down!! LOL

This is a great thread, I started using a twin hose voit reg, heck I never drowned. As previously mentioned my nice regs are 25 year old Scuba Pro and they still work wonderfully. My wife was just certified and it took some hunting but I did find her a set like mine....go figure.
Bill

DA Aquamaster:
I just wanna know what station still plays seahunt reruns. Go find the "dude" again and ask him.

I think Good Life network (GTV) was airing these at night back in the 4Q of 2004 in my area - but it doesn't appear they are currently airing them. I was working a lot of non-stop night shifts and can't remember which month it was now that I saw an episode or two on a rare half night off during that time.

When I did Japanese intro dives in Hawaii, one of the young scunnionheads I worked with asked me in 1991 <--- that's the year after 1990 --- if I had been in World War II and what battles I had fought in. This was the same person who gave the crew a grand demonstration of singlehandedly stowing away our Boston Whaler support boat in the warehouse we used in Kaneohe.
It was especially impressive when he pulled the front wheel on the trailer tongue of the trailer right over his bare foot. I didn't think humans could make the sounds that came out of his mouth.

Hey Tom, in this thread vintage is referring to the dive gear not the diver.
Vintage is when the teenage diver asked if my Aqua Master was a rebreather because of the two hoses.

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom