You cave and tech divers need a splatula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Don't know if you already have one. But a site like this with easy to access deaths and short explanations would be a great asset to the divers. I like that it is chronological too.

BASE Fatality List

The section at our forum for scuba deaths is too bloated for easy access.

BTW, where do you put the death risk factor with tech divers?

I list it as #3 in danger. (Although without all the training and professionalism it would be #1 And maybe rebreather diving should be tied with climbers for #2?)

1 BASE
2 Climbers
3 Tech / Cave divers

Your list is meaningless.

Is a "climber" a person who does a 30 foot bolted sport route on a Sunday afternoon, or someone who solos a new route in the Himalayas?

Similarly,is a "tech/cave diver" a diver who does 130 feet for 20 minutes in Cayman or ,one who tries to bottom 1000 foot deep sinkholes?

Your list is meaningless.

Is a "climber" a person who does a 30 foot bolted sport route on a Sunday afternoon, or someone who solos a new route in the Himalayas?

Similarly,is a "tech/cave diver" a diver who does 130 feet for 20 minutes in Cayman or ,one who tries to bottom 1000 foot deep sinkholes?

Just use your brain...extreme climbers. I'm speaking in general terms for the group as a whole.

But if I'm wrong then state your case. I've got nothing in concrete about it. Just read regular memorials for dead climbers in the mags. Lots of famous ones too.

Just as extreme kayakers and extreme skiers bite the dust regularly. So maybe they should be figured in too. But have no stats on them.

I list it as #3 in danger. (Although without all the training and professionalism it would be #1 And maybe rebreather diving should be tied with climbers for #2?)

1 BASE
2 Climbers
3 Tech / Cave divers

Based on what?

Don't know if you already have one. But a site like this with easy to access deaths and short explanations would be a great asset to the divers. I like that it is chronological too.

BASE Fatality List

The section at our forum for scuba deaths is too bloated for easy access.

BTW, where do you put the death risk factor with tech divers?

1 BASE
2 Climbers
3 Tech / Cave divers
You might want to remember that it's a lot of work getting the right to publish these reports legally (and not be sued by the family). From talking to an IUCRR member, that's why those reports don't come out anymore, no one to play the legal game.

Based on what?

I am fairly confident that 100% of Cave/Tech Divers die CD.....IJS. I am surprised it was not ranked #1.

BASE jumping is unique on the list as by it's nature you have basically no time to deploy a reserve chute. Plus you are freefalling close to the object you jumped off of, the landing areas may be less than optimum and the immediate pre-jump procedure may be to run and jump before someone tries to stop you or arrest you, increasing the risk of missing something you may have noticed with a more measured pre jump procedure.

Climbing and cave/technical diving on the other hand are both adjustable risk sports and with the greater redundancy and potentially greater time to work a problem that may develop, cave and technical diving probably have a much larger range of adjustable risk.

Frankly, I cave dive because I am a planning and control freak and I have never felt on the edge the way I have in other pursuits such as climbing, sky diving or some interesting forms of aviation.

In my opinion, cave diving can attract thrill seekers, but they will probably get satiated and move on to something more adrenaline producing in a few years, or they will push it too far and end up dead in a cave due to breaking more than a few rules posisbly complicated by trying to go too far too fast.

But I'd argue most cave divers are mature or even middle aged people who are pretty good risk managers and cave dive because the risks are very easy to manage in cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom