You all should have been there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox Junkie

Great Lakes diver
Reaction score
I am originally from Michigan and now reside in In
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All right I have let the cat out of the bag. We, (ICUROK- pronounced "I see You are OK", Ray Werner and myself met Saturday morning at the Cracker Barrel in Indianapolis for breakfast. We met two camera men from WFYI (PBS) and a bunch of Ray and Scott's friends from town that had organized a christmas tree raising @ Gilboa Quarry which is going to be televised on January 27th @ 7:30pm.(WFYI out of Indianapolis) We got there and began our slow gear set up in the very cold air. After hurrying and carefully walking down the steps at the instructors platform we entered the water and were amazed at the vis. On the surface from the furthest platform we could see all the underwater platforms (2) the Caddy and if the light was right I am sure you could have seen the tail of the plane. We headed out and watched the lift bag being attatched to the X-mas tree then pow there she went to the surface. Now for the real dive. We swam out past the plane across the road knowing our target was close. The wall finally came into view and down we went. 50', 60', 70', 80', 90', BRRRRRRR, 100', 110', 120', 125' touchdown. WoW WHAT A FEELING. The vis here was fantastic but in the pit (SUMP) which is never very good, the vis was even better. Over the wall the vis was very clear almost like we were in a spring or something. Now this is a figure of speech but in comparison to how it usually is you would probable say the same thing. We got closer and closer to the pit and then saw the bottom drop out from under us. We knew we were there. From the East side of the pit we could see the wall on the west side the south side and the north side all at the same time. This being the deepest part of the quarry you will get your deepest readings here but usually you cant see 4 feet in front of you. This time you could view the whole bottom and look for dips in the topagraphy to find that well famed deepest spot. We did and it read 135'. We roamed for a while but time was cut short because of Scott's P-Valve detatching from his Dry suit.........(WOW that must have Been COLD). Just kidding making sure you were still with us. Our computers were actually the deciding factor and up to the tubes we went. From there we swam past the wreck under the new underwater platform and to the rear of the plane where we would surface. The group fetching the tree was about done and we said our good bye's. They left us some snack foods and took off. We filled out tanks (Happy New Year, Air has went up $1.00) and began suiting up for out second dive. Again back to the pit where again we had another awsome dive. Since it was pretty much a mirror dive I won't bore you with the details other than it was longer, totaling 52 minutes for me and 63 for Scott and very, very cold with 37/ 38 degree water temperatures. Good diving all around. We had a great time and talked quite a few times about the dive on the 18th with the KPP group, about the divers that we had met from the KPP group and the ones were still looking forward to and scared to meet all at the same time:wink: It was a great day for diving, with sunny skies and good company and two more fun memories to log down in my ever growing log book. Thanks for listening.

Jeff "Great lakes diver":para: :m16:

This is a picture taken by Ray Werner in the sump at around 127' @ gilboa on the 4th of January 2003. We were hovering off the bottom in the sump area. The pic was taken with me looking East so there is wall all around me. This is I believe the reason for the pic being so God awful gloomy...

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Thanks for the report it sounds like you had a great weekend.

I will see you guys on the 18th.

Chad

Glad to see your back. It has been kind of quiet around here. The question was brought up several times as to where you had gone... It was a couple of good dives and I'm looking forward to the 18th. See ya then.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

I'm getting a dry-suit and rigging myself to dive doubles. I'm jealous...I want to dive all year and since I don't live in or on the ocean I need a dry-suit

My wife and I just ordered our tri-lam drysuits and were wondering how comfortable you guys with tri-lam were We are really looking forward to extending our dive season and checking out some Great Lakes sites.

I am fine in the water with my shell suit. It all depends on the undergarments you wear. I just ordered a Softwear 300g suit and I hear that will help even more. I am thinking hard about the dry gloves though.

Enjoy the suits.

Chad

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I'm getting a dry-suit and rigging myself to dive doubles. I'm jealous...I want to dive all year and since I don't live in or on the ocean I need a dry-suit

Big-t-2538

I was just wondering if you were referring to my pic above with the comment about doubles. If you were, I don't have doubles in the pic. I have a 108cf lp steel and a 30cf al pony. The dry suit however is a definite plus. There was one guy that I know of there in a wet suit. Wow not me.

Scott
My Tri lam suit is a very good suit but you can still get cold especially while diving in the temps we were in. I was cold. Like Chad said, it all depends on the undergarments you have on. My suit came with a one piece jump suit and a two piece. The only problem with the two piece is that it always clumps up when you put it on and is a bit of a pain so I don't ever wear it. They now have two sets of underwear that are both one piece and I will have to in the end probable upgrade to make my diving more comfortable. Winter diving is a lot different than summer diving because you don't have the warmer water to help you warm up after doing the colder deep water dives. Winter your in cold water throughout the entire water column and then have to exit the water into sometimes a 10 degree surface temp. Oh well, you will get used to it. The winter diving thing is well worth any pain you will endure. The vis is a lot better and the crowds are non existent. Good luck.. Let me know about some great lakes diving. I know of some good starter locations on some very very nice shipwrecks. I will get some stuff together and post it for ya...

Chad
The dry gloves are a winner. Last summer in Isle Royale (Lake Superior) I ripped one of the seals and have still not repaired it because I have not found the correct seal. I have been doing the wet glove thing for awhile now. Well last weekend I decided on the "last dive" to use one wet and one dry... To make a long story short, "GET THE DRY GLOVES".

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

I saw you had an interesting set-up...but that wasn't my reason...

I just want a dry-suit...and with a dry-suit, I'll more than likely be rigging for doubles not long after that. I really want to get into doing some wreck diving, and I think doubles would just be ideal. Why...for the simple fact that most wrecks aren't in 40ft of water, and my gas goes a lot quicker at 80ft than it does at 40 or even 60...of course I've only expereiced being warm at 80 feet one time, and that was in La Paz...the air didn;t go quite so fast then...damn fish and coral being all scenic and me being way relaxed...water was in the low 80's, and there wasn't a thermocline (at least one of significance that I remember) either. Sure was a little different than the old OH quarries. It seems no matter what time of the year I go to Gilboa or WhiteStar, 80ft seems to be in the low 50s...that just ain't warm.

I just don't see how anyone who can swim 450 meters in 4.5 minutes and look like they're napping while they do it could NOT be relaxed in the water. Even if it IS cold :wink:
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom