Yongala Wreck, Townsville, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone dove the Yongala wreck in Townsville, Qld, Australia? I'm looking at doing it in June, and would like to know whether it's a worthwhile dive. I understand that you can't go inside the wreck...

Has anyone dove the Yongala wreck in Townsville, Qld, Australia? I'm looking at doing it in June, and would like to know whether it's a worthwhile dive. I understand that you can't go inside the wreck...

One of the best dives anywhere. You won't regret it if you go. No penetration but there isn't much to penetrate anyway.

Havnt done it myself (We have too many great wrecks here in New Zealand for me to find the time) but I know a lot of people who have that rave about it.

Do it! :D

One of the best dives anywhere. You won't regret it if you go. No penetration but there isn't much to penetrate anyway.

When you dove the site how were the conditions both of the wreck field and water? I have only seen photos and read a few trip reports. Thx. :wink:

When you dove the site how were the conditions both of the wreck field and water? I have only seen photos and read a few trip reports. Thx. :wink:

It's been a while (10 yrs) but I don't imagine the wreck has changed much since then as the hull was intact lying to starboard but the superstructure was all gone at that time. I made several trips to it as I crewed on one of the boats that did liveaboard trips (MV Hero run by The Dive Bell). Generally the viz wasn't as good as the reef (60-70ish. Saw worse, saw better) and there was usually a current running. If there was a wind blowing then we would have to dive the reef as the Yongala is totally exposed and we would not be able to anchor.

Not much of a wreck field but there are a few bottles lying around (including some of the torpedo type). Taking anything is strictly forbidden, even from the surrounding area. However there is a ton of life hanging around as one would expect on a wreck that lies in a flat sand plain. Huge rays, huge groupers, sea snakes, turtles, etc. etc.. It's not a technical wreck as the bottom is just shy of 100' but we did some lengthy dives using doubles and nitrox. If penetration were allowed there was opportunity to explore the cargo holds but we never went in. Some ops wouldn't even allow one to swim under the overhang at the bow.

One of the best dives in the world. It is absolutely covered in corals, and the fish life will blow you away. Swimming through a school of Napoleon Wrasse while being nose to nose with sea snakes, ah the memories. Still one of my top dives ever.

I highly recommend Yongala Dive, these guys are a fantastic operation.

Yongala Dive » Scuba diving on the S.S. Yongala Wreck, Australia

One of the best dives in the world. It is absolutely covered in corals, and the fish life will blow you away. Swimming through a school of Napoleon Wrasse while being nose to nose with sea snakes, ah the memories. Still one of my top dives ever.

I highly recommend Yongala Dive, these guys are a fantastic operation.

Yongala Dive » Scuba diving on the S.S. Yongala Wreck, Australia

Now just to get to Australia....someday..maybe.

Do you think it's as good as the Great Barrier Reef or the kelp forests of Tasmania? It's just that I'm trying to persuade my buddy to come with me, who thinks that the fact that we can't penetrate the wreck means that it'll be an average dive.

I think it's a better dive than much of the barrier reef. I have dived the Yongala 4 times. It is (was?) a largely intact wreck with a lot of fish around it. There are large cod, a lot of smaller fish, sea snakes, and the occasional large shark on the periphery. It was an intermediate to advanced dive on the two days that I dived it, with strong currents and a decent chop on the surface.

I would put the wildlife on the Yongala on par with any site on the GBR. The day we dove, there was more fish life on that wreck than I had ever seen on a dive site. There were Humpback whales close by and we listened to their songs throughout the dive. The previous day, the divers had snorkeled with a mother and baby calf at the surface.

The lack of penetration is a non-issue to me. There is more than enough to overstimulate you outside the wreck. No need to look at a rusting hulk inside, and disturb the final resting place of many unfortunate souls.

Be warned though, it is open ocean, hence the large life everywhere, so it can be subject to rough seas and currents.

Do you think it's as good as the Great Barrier Reef or the kelp forests of Tasmania? It's just that I'm trying to persuade my buddy to come with me, who thinks that the fact that we can't penetrate the wreck means that it'll be an average dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom