Yoke valves on a PST HP120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As above, SOL. But instead of selling the cylinders why convert your reg to DIN? What regs do you have? A conversion kit to DIN is typically in the $50-$60 range.

I converted both my reg sets to DIN when I found a great deal on 4 hp 100's. Since DIN is actually a better system in the end and you can still use yoke with an adapter it seems like the best way to go. If I was going on a trip and was renting tanks I would just put the yoke parts back on. (takes about 5 minutes)
BTW, I'll give you $100.00 for each 120 if you really don't want them. :wink:

BTW, I'll give you $100.00 for each 120 if you really don't want them. :wink:
Oooh, oooh, I'll go $125 each. Seriously, these are good tanks (my dive buddy and I each have a set of double 120s, and I would love to add a second set). Convert your regs - it is relatively inexpensive, and easy, and ultimately a better solution.

technically it is possible to put a convertible valve on a true HP tank. DiveRite made a very limited number of 232 Bar convertible valves with a 7/8" - 14 UNF inlet, but they are very hard to find. Everyone that has one wont sell it.

I wouldn't recommend using a yoke reg with a HP fill though.

The reason that PST went from 3,500 psi cylinders to 3,442 psi cylinders is to change the pressure so that K valves or PRO type valves (international outlet) can be used. The line of demarcation for a K valve is 230 Bar and 3,500 psi is above that. While it may seem like a small jump from 230 Bar to 3,500 psi, the line was drawn a long time ago.

Hope this helps.

In 1999, a dealer lost one of my tanks and replaced it with a new HP 100. I mulled over what to do with this tank with the unusual neck thread and funny valve. I decided to start using the new tank but I needed two more to match. Since I normally carry three matching tanks on a weekend trip and since I had an existing investment in equipment with yoke clamps including tanks, regulators, compressors, etc, I decided to stay with the yoke format while trading up to the new type tanks; and that meant I needed to swap out tanks and get yoke valves for the new ones. I traded some cylinders, bought two more HP's and then had a buddy machine three Sherwood yoke valves to the 7/8 thread. The mods were described on the net which seemed to surprise some people and there was some "stroke" talk about weak yokes, etc. However, I have not had any problems with this arrangement. Since then, I have tried to explain to the SB people about the actual potential of the yoke clamp and the valves and O rings which characterize the modern yoke valve but I doubt that it has stuck. Some yoke clamps are functional up to 4000 psi with a safe margin. I know this from "stretch" tests which I performed. There is no black magic about the actual mod. The valve has to be stripped and shimmed into a lathe, then turned. Clean the modified valve in O2 safe solvent, reassemble including the correct disk, and install the O ring, then insert in tank to about 30-40 lb-ft torque.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom