Yoke valve damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jhgt2d

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pretty sure I know this is messed up and needs replaced but I figured I would check here since it will be 2+ weeks before I can get to my dive shop. In your opinion what's the verdict on this valve?

Attachments

• 20210425_194900.jpg
    20210425_194900.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 125
I've seen worse that worked.

Looks worn but not out of round. As others said if it seals readily and the yoke doesn't get stuck don't worry about replacing it.

It seals sometimes. I am new to owning my own equipment so I don't really have any experience to pull from.

When I put a tank checker on there it blows air for a split second before sealing and not leaking at the 500# that's in the tank. That being said, it seals the 1st time about 50% of the time with no air leakage.

What’d you do to it?

I bought the tank used and apparently didn't inspect it well enough to catch that ding. It's been sitting in my basement unused for 2 weeks while I am working out of town.

Are you looking at the flat edge on the inside of the o ring? If so, that's designed and should not affect sealing. It gives you space to insert a pick to remove the o ring.

Momentary leaking prior to lockup is not uncommon especially at lower pressure. As others said, if it seals it's good.

Are you looking at the flat edge on the inside of the o ring? If so, that's designed and should not affect sealing. It gives you space to insert a pick to remove the o ring.

Momentary leaking prior to lockup is not uncommon especially at lower pressure. As others said, if it seals it's good.

That is the section I was worried about. I haven't seen that before on a yoke valve and I just assumed it was damage instead of design. I also didn't know a bit of leakage prior to sealing at low pressure is usual. Looks like I learned several things today. Thanks for the information.

Yeah, that flat inner lip is designed.

When you turn on the tank. If you are looking from the opposite direction. The air flows out and the pressure will start to slightly form the O-ring to seal any leaks between the valve and 1st stage. So usually, once it's pressurized it wont leak.

Unless it's bumped like in a cave or in a swim through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom