Yoke to Din, do you need a specific valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have your basic Catalina AL80 3000PSI tank with a yoke valve. I had intended on switching over to Din and simply switching out the valves. This was until I called my local Sports Chalet who informed me that certain tanks need certain valves. If this is the case, what kind of Din valve do I need for my tank?
Around how much should I be looking to spend?

the standard Cat. AL80 uses 3/4-14 NPSM (very common valve)..... [legal disclaimer: there is a potential it could be a custom ordered one and different, but that is highly unlikely :cool2:]

Very, very unlikely your AL80 will not use the the standard 3/4-14 NPSM Thermo PRO convertible valve. There are other brands but they are not nearly as pretty

3500 PSI steel cyinders are the only common exception followed by ancient LP72 and other very vintage cylinders.

Pete

Last edited:
Perhaps the highly paid employee at Sports Chalet was just trying to demonstrate his or her superior knowledge which really tend to make them no help at all.

Perhaps the highly paid employee at Sports Chalet was just trying to demonstrate his or her superior knowledge which really tend to make them no help at all.
And further, make no sale, which makes them useless to the boss as well...

All modern Al cylinders have 3/4-14 NPSM threads. As Spectrum said just get a 200 bar valve which can be DIN or Yoke.

FWIW 3500 psi cylinders have a 7/8 threads while older LP72 and other old cylinders have 1/2" tapered threads.

Thanks a ton everyone! I spoke with my LDS and she said to stop by. I'll be going in on Saturday to switch it out for a provalve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom