Yoke or DIN for stage bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Was wondering what the benefits are of each system for a stage bottle running at 232bar?

DIN. Really no advantage to yoke unless you consider an additional protrusion and possible entanglement hazard a benefit.

Spot on.

Didn't really want to ask why not Yoke :) as this can be very PRO yoke board. The entanglement issue with yoke is a well known issue. What about the yoke when mounted, in the armpit?

Last edited:
Yoke CAN be used, but it is more sensitive to impacts, sticks out more, and is easier to entangle. The only advantage to yoke is that if you have a yoke only tank, you can use the yoke on it without an adapter.

Since there is really no advantage to a yoke valve vs a DIN, but there are advantages to DIN vs yoke, typically there is no need to discuss this any further.

If you are asking "will I die with a yoke 1st stage on my stage bottle?" - the answer is probably not. But if you are carrying around a stage bottle, you likely already have tech config DIN regs around, so why bother?

Another reason for the DIN is the o-ring. I've seen a few yoke o-rings blow, especially in cold water. Chance of a DIN o-ring blowing is much less.

TotDoc all fair, I get asked this question and I usually say entanglement. When I try to recycle old reg sets I often weigh the pros and cons based on the application. When I am asked by others do I need to change to DIN as my diving progresses I say its a good idea. I really like to hear the reasons others have. Everybody knows that yoke has a higher likely-hood of being knocked and protrudes, so not great in a tech environment on a stage. I would have liked to hear any thoughts to the contrary that is all. Yes I have several DIN first-stages. I like to hear other points of view and reasons why, its one of the fun things about diving. I have never had the miss fortune of seeing a valve oring blow underwater yet.

Last edited:
TotDoc all fair, I get asked this question and I usually say entanglement. When I try to recycle old reg sets I often weigh the pros and cons based on the application. When I am asked by others do I need to change to DIN as my diving progresses I say its a good idea. I really like to hear the reasons others have. Everybody knows that yoke has a higher likely-hood of being knocked and protrudes, so not great in a tech environment on a stage. I would have liked to hear any thoughts to the contrary that is all. Yes I have several DIN first-stages. I like to hear other point so of and reasons why, its one of the fun things about diving. I have never had the miss fortune of seeing a valve oring blow underwater yet.

LOL.. skip to 1:40

Yes, DIN is preferred in this application.

The reason not so far mentioned is that stage bottles are typically carried valve off. With a yoke valve, it is easy to confuse the valve knob with the yoke knob due to similar location, shape, size, and color. If combined with a mistake in turning the knob the wrong direction, the reg could become loose on the valve leading to a blown o-ring, flooded first stage, or separation of the reg and the valve. DIN has none of these hazards.

Back
Top Bottom