Yoke or Din for HP Steel..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have four "HP" 3442 steel tanks. I used to run yoke with them. But, I had issues with a leak that started up at 100'. I switched to DIN and have never looked back. It's a much better system and it only took about five minutes, including looking for the proper sized wrench in my garage, to convert my reg from yoke to DIN.

If you want to dive like Jacques Cousteau-Emil Gagnan dive with the yoke! :cheers:
The yoke was the first connector that was put in the very first commercial scuba regulators in 1950+.
But seriously, DIN is a better standard, all tech divers know it, but there is so much yoke around the world that it is not going to disappear.
If I were a tech diver I would no doubt opt for DIN.

US-DIVERS-DW-Stream-Air-00016-1024x964.jpg

DIN for me. Converted everything to DIN years ago and very happy.
Does DIN stand for Doing it Nicely?:wink:

If you want to dive like Jacques Cousteau-Emil Gagnan dive with the yoke! :cheers:
The yoke was the first connector that was put in the very first commercial scuba regulators in 1950+.
But seriously, DIN is a better standard, all tech divers know it, but there is so much yoke around the world that it is not going to disappear.
If I were a tech diver I would no doubt opt for DIN.

View attachment 648328
I think if Jaques and Emil were alive today they would also be using DIN. They were always ahead of their times when diving.

You are probably right about yoke not going anywhere, at least not soon. For the most part, though, yoke doesn’t need to exist anymore. More and more new tanks I see actually have convertible valves.

I switched over to DIN regs many years ago. At the time, I still had two yoke tanks. My DIN regs came with an adapter that I used on those tanks for a bit. Then I got tired of it, and just swapped the valves for DIN valves. I still bring the adapter with me in the event I might dive other tanks, but for the most part, I dive DIN only. I’m not a tech diver.

Can't wait for some innovative company to develop a new 3rd standard for attaching a tank to a reg, hopefully some sort of over-complicated but heavily marketed proprietary quick connector that's "better" than din or yoke.

standards.png

Be sure, though, to screw a DIN plug into your valve whenever you remove your 1st stage, lest you run the risk of having something bump into the valve and bend/deform it--which will make subsequently reattaching your 1st stage problematic. (Of course, this is not really a concern with an A-clamp valve.)

rx7diver

I always used DIN from day one, as I also bought my own cylinders with DIN valves along with a DIN reg. And back then when I dived singles, i just used / traveled with a Poisidon yoke adapter (for rented cylinders). Then always DIN on doubles, but........back to yoke on my CCR as was not possible to fit DIN valves on the Mk15.5. sphere cylinders. But those yokes were inside the caseing, so at least could not get dislodged from bumping something.

But, back to the original question, there are more reasons for using DIN than just high or low pressure cylinders, so definately DIN whenever / wherever you can IMO.

Be sure, though, to screw a DIN plug into your valve whenever you remove your 1st stage, lest you run the risk of having something bump into the valve and bend/deform it--which will make subsequently reattaching your 1st stage problematic. (Of course, this is not really a concern with an A-clamp valve.)
rx7diver

I think you would have to do more than 'bump' a DIN valve on a cylinder to deform it. Like hit it with a sledge hammer! I know of an incident when a bunch of DIN cylinders fell off the back of a moving truck and not get deformed. The plug is just to keep crap out IMO.

Back
Top Bottom