YMCA Scuba Closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IlikeItwetPls

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has heard YScuba is quiting business July 09?

Rig,

I believe that everyone is jumping due to a letter sent out that the YSCUBA Program was no longer sponsoring an "Insurance Program" through Willis Canada. That's it. Instructors are now to get insurance through their local Y's or continue with Willis with another sponsored agency as the primary and YMCA SCUBA as secondary. It’s really no big deal.

This is a risk management thing and the program is being pulled into the mainstream. The YMCA of the USA has updated the site which is now located on YMCA.net as all other sites are and now has us "affiliating" with a local Y, again no big deal, we at East Coast Diver are affiliated with three!

This is revitalization not a closing shop from my standpoint. Again, this is a risk management issue and one I can live with, to maintain my independence !

Just my 2 cents,
Gary

Maybe as the OP would ask for it.

My understanding with YMCA is that it has always been aligned with CMAS, a French dive agency. Also, that CMAS was just going to start training as CMAS, rather than the YScuba.

However, the certs would cross certify with CMAS. Long live INDEPENDENCE!!!!

CMAS has always been a completely seperate entity. You may, by equivelency recieve a CMAS rating by taking any level YSCUBA course. We are to date the only agency CMAS will do this for, due to our high standard of training.

The YMCA SCUBA Program is the oldest certifying agency in the country and as I said before is still in the SCUBA certification business.

A YMCA trained diver has been through a course of instruction with some of the highest standards on the planet and I for one, am quite proud to offer YSCUBA programs!

Gary

Guy,s read what you want. My instructer can not get a san # to people he has cer. their cards. So he is going Naui. Point blank.

We have no problem getting sanction numbers. Of course we get the number prior to actually starting the class. When you get a roster together you call and usually get a number within 24 hours if not on the phone. I am so glad I became a Y instructor after some of the things I saw this weekend at the lake. Makes me proud our standards have not been watered down. And also glad that they have not from a liability standpoint. Scary, some of the people who have cards. I love being independent as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom