Yikes! Finally Taking The Plunge At Oban

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm finally going to try diving at home. Have booked myself onto a drysuit training course with Puffin Dive Centre in Oban. I last dived 6 weeks ago in Tobago in 29C water with 20m visibility. What am I letting myself in for?? :eek:

Anyhow, really looking forward to it, if slightly apprehensive! Any comments from recent converts to UK waters appreciated.

:) brizzolatti

Have a great time. When do you go?

Oban is fantastic, you will love the wrecks.

Let us know how the dry suit course and Oban dives went.

Dive safely.

Kev

literally, but also figuratively :D

I'm a very recent convert, having just done my first real UK dives this weekend in Cornwall, and I had a great time. Not exactly the same experience as 32 degree water in the clear waters of PNG, but still darn good fun.

Let us know what Oban's like... that, Skye and Scapa are all on my list. Sadly, it's a pretty looong list ;-0 and it's not getting any shorter

Clootie, now you are just showing off :) diving last weekend, PNG.... sounds like your left to do list is shorter than mine

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I'll certainly report back.

I can't wait but one thing is bothering me a bit: I am used to a 3mm shortie, front zipping wetsuit, which I don't zip all the way up to my neck because I like to have it open. A dry suit will enclose me from neck down. I don't really like anything round my neck and I can't remember the last time I wore long sleeves, never mind tight long sleeves. Anyone else have this bizarre discomfort? I'm guessing I will just get used to it.

I think I know what you mean, I feel like I'm choking when ever I wear a poloneck, and felt really uncomfortable the first two or three dives in my semi-dry with its tight neck seal but after that it is ok. I guess it will just be more of the same with a dry suit.

The alternative is go diving in Oban in an open shortie and then you probably won't have an issue getting into a dry suit after that :wink:

Like Conor's suggestion to try Oban with a 3mm shortie :wacko:

Don't worry about the dry suit feeling strange first time around. You will be amazed at how quickly you adapt. Believe me, the alternatives do not bear thinking about! :rolleyes:

Safe diving, all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom