Yet more Mako/Bauer K14 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks for all the help so far. Here are a couple of more questions.

First, I would like to install an oil pressure gauge for the the fourth stage. I understand that I might be able to use one of the sealed ports on the oil pressure regulator. If this is true, would I be able to use a mechanical gauge or would I have to use an electrical sender and gauge? There is no existing 12 volt system.

Second, the unit is apparently a really old one that uses the chain instead of the newer belt to drive the pump. There is a sticker indicating that I need to lubricate the chain every 20 hours. However there is also what also appears to be a diagram for an oil sump for the chain. So is there any idea which it is? Are there two separate lubrication systems, one for the pump and another for the chain?

Thanks again.

Standard gauge. If there is a removable cap at the base of the chain cover, then you should just have to add oil for lubing the chain. That is provided the seal is still good and the oil doesn't leek out.

Craig

A couple of other notes to add to Craigs advice. The chain drive also uses a metal tensioner. Check to see if it is there and adjusted so the chain does not slap around. The diaphram I think you are talking about is actually an oil seal for your oil pump cam shaft, there is also one on both ends of the crank shaft.
Use a 1/8 inch male NPT to a 1/4 JIC fitting and a hp line to a gauge mounted somewere on your compressor. You can use a small gauge with the 1/8 npt stem but they tend to break due to the vibs. The pressure in the oil system should be at 900-psi so you should use a 1500-psi gauge minumum.
A nother thing to note is all the fittings and hardwere including the allen screws on the compressor block are metric.
Good luck
ZDD

Zodiacdiverdave:

Please tell me, I have seen Pics of Mako k14 were they have 4 filters, at the end of 4th stage, can you please explain how they are deploy?
because the model I have only posses 2. my specific cuestion is , wich is the frist one to be on order to start cleaning the air the mechaincal one or the chemical one?

Can you tell me were to get parts for my compressor??

Best regards¡¡

Zodiacdiverdave:

Please tell me, I have seen Pics of Mako k14 were they have 4 filters, at the end of 4th stage, can you please explain how they are deploy?
because the model I have only posses 2. my specific cuestion is , wich is the frist one to be on order to start cleaning the air the mechaincal one or the chemical one?

Best regards¡¡

Provide a picture(s) and we can be very specific.

Craig

Zodiacdiverdave:

Best regards¡¡
As Craig has said pictures would help. Mako and Bauer had and still have many options when it comes to filtration I think that the 4 filters you are talking about are the 2-3 interstage separator; the 3-4 interstage separator ; the final separator and the purification filter. There is really no sequence to draining the separators because the suction and pressure valves in each cylinder head prevent water and oil from back flowing from the higher stage seperator. They just need to be drained every 15-20 min. or after each cylinder filling. The purification filter does not need to be drained, the drain valve on that filter is there to release the pressure so the filter can be changed.

As for getting parts most are available through Lawrence Factor / New Parts devision, in Miami Lakes FL. USA. You can also get parts for the block through Bauer in Norfolk, Verginia, they are the distributor for Mexico.

Hope this helps, ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom