Yet another SOS decompression meter thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
---- solved? SOS Dive Computer ------

A little trivia here and looking for an ID on an interesting device.

Story runs in the 1970-80s some divers from Italy had an analog dive computer of sorts and used it on many dives with my friend.

He described it as two compartments, with a permeable stone separating them. The stone's porosity simulated nitrogen tissue loading where the gas flowed from the left compartment to the right in response to depth increases. The right compartment had a needle provided loading info.

I've never seen one and my Google abilities didn't show me anything.

Anyone have some more information for this curious mind?

Thanks,
Cameron

Last edited:
Distributed by Scubapro in the U.S.
Have a field day looking it up now as we all used it at the time. Lots of reviews and comments.

s-l300.jpg

We used to call them "Bends-O-Matic".

i saw one listed on ebay a few days ago (can't find it now...).

i have one tucked away in a cupboard. cat chewed the strap. i am a little afraid to get the computer wet...

I was afraid to get mine wet back then, and mainly relied on the USN tables. Next dive I make I will take my unit out as well as my old 507 helium depth gauge and see if the needles move. At least there are no batteries to replace .

I used one from about 1967-1992. Always did a sanity check with USN Navy tables. I did start to trust it enough to take credit for meandering depth profiles after a few years (versus square profiles). We also called them Bend-o-Matics but most of the people I dove with used them and none of us were bent. I sort of miss it; it never whined about 60'/minute ascents. ;-)

Last edited:
I think I recall seeing one on display at an LDS. It lives in a glass display case, though. They don't actually use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom