Yet another Phuket question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in2deep

Registered
Reaction score
G'day there –

I'll be spending 10 days diving Thailand mid November. A few day dives out of Phuket to get the Gobi dust off me (I work in Mongolia- not the best place to gets ones diving fix) followed by a stint out on the Similans on the Dive Master 1 (anyone got any comments/experiences with this operation?)

All I need to know is: how unsettled is the weather mid-November? I've just learnt it's the monsoon period in Nov-Dec. As long as the vis is good I guess it doesn’t matter too much - I'm more worried about gale force winds, swell and run off...

BTW: I haven't decided who to go with for the day trips out of Phuket: any more recommendations from the board would be more than welcome: my diving interests are Wrecks, Kelp and Caves: if someone can promise me the trifecta I’ll be more than impressed… :wink:

Cheers,
Rohan.

Nov-Dec is not considered a monsoon season in Thailand. Typically the rainy season here ends around mid November and Nov-Dec is usually not as wet as say Borneo, Eastern coast of Peninsular Malaysia etc.
Generally the Andaman sea can still be quite rough at time and usually the sea is calmer in Jan-April. However since Similan is a group of islands so once you get there, there will always be places that will shelter you from rough sea etc. Visibility should not be a problem. In fact, I am going to the Similan next week.

I have not been on Dive Master I myself but it is considered one of the top tier live aboard so you are in good hand.

As far as wrecks go, there is only one wreck in Similan and it was a boat that sank there last year. I heard of one also somewhere near Koh Bon but I don't really know any other detail about it. The more popular wreck would be the King Cruiser and you can do that easily on a day trip from Phuket.

As far as kelp goes, you are out of luck. I think you need colder water to get kelp forest. At Similans, you will get pretty good soft coral and hard coral reef though.

Similan is outstanding but no wrecks, kelp, or caves. The wreck ssra refers to is the Atlantis (a 25 metre liveaboard, not very interesting as a wreck). Nov-Dec are usually great times to visit. Have fun!

There is a Bangsak wreck near Khao Lak water, a King Cruise wreck around Phi Phi and cave diving is also possible around Phi Phi/Krabi.

You may want to spend the time in Phi Phi instead of Phuket to get closer to the King crusie and other cave diving sites.

Travelem,

Do you mean the Boonsung wreck Near Thap Lamu?

Old tin mining vessel.

Viz there is not fantastic but more life than possiblt any where else I;ve dived.

Lots of good critters too.

Cheers

In general the Andaman Sea is considered the best diving in Thailand, especially The Similans and Surin National Parks.

And you don't have to worry about the weather. The monsoon season end mid October (today!!). There may be a bit of wind, but nothing serious.

The nicest wreck is King Cruiser, easy reachable on an daytrip from Phuket. And just as far from Phi Phi as it is from Phuket.
Also the Similans are doable on a daytrip from Phuket, but this is a bit further.

And yes, the water is too warm for kelp, won't find it here. But: lots of small life, good chances of sharks, etc.

Check out:
www.sea-bees-kata.com

Thanks for your replies - Its reassuring to hear that the weather wont be too wild..

The king cruiser sounds like a must do. I did have my tounge firmly planted in my cheek when I metioned my other two diving passions: kelp and caves (I thought you had neither; my apologies for being a bit facetious - I guess its hard to tell if someones being serious in a writen message: one of the perils of such message boards I guess) so I was happily suprised to learn of the caves at Phi Phi/Krabi - does anyone know how far in they go, and to what depths? I'm very tempted to give them a look...

Thanks for your advice,
Rohan.

Helo there. Most of the dive spots are situated between Krabi and Phuket. Its a few hours to drive around as I first landed at Phuket airport before Krabi had been finished.

I have done King Cruiser a few times. If you go into the top cabin there is a clean air pocket up top, (Maybe not so many people know)

But I did here its starting to break up and you cant go in now. Still you will find out soon!

Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom