Yet another Dead Strobe...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's kind of sad when you call Sealife Tech Support, and start the conversation with "I've got another dead strobe" and the tech knows your voice well enough to say "was it the one I just sent you a couple weeks ago or an older one?" without even asking who you are.

It was, by the way, the one that she sent me a couple of weeks ago. I was diving this weekend, and went to adjust the brightness knob on the back, and the thing just spun... no stop, just spun... and locked the flash down into the dimmest setting possible.

I leave for Kona Thursday, and this was the first time I took this particular one under water...

At this point in time, I am so used to this equipment failing me I just kind of sighed... ok, I actually just kind of bubbled out the S600... turned it off and went back to one flash for the rest of the dive.

When I got this outfit (DC800 Maxx) I got the two strobes to eliminate shadows... in reality, it has more turned out that I need two strobes have a reasonable chance that one of them may be functional at the time I need it.

For those that are counting, that is 3 strobes and 3 cameras sent back because they were defective (the cameras were all lens issues... since Sealife replaced the DC800 with an upgrade to the DC1000 the camera has worked flawlessly and it takes great pictures...).

I am going to carry my Canon Powershot A710IS to shoot video on this trip (it shoots MUCH better video than the Sealife camera, although the DC1000 has the edge in photo qulaity) so if/when all this Sealife stuff fails again I will at least have that as a backup.

She is sending me out a new flash overnight so I will have it in time for my trip, so that's good customer service... but it does make me wonder if ANY of this stuff actually works for any length of time...

I am extrememly careful with the equipment (I have been a photographer for 30 years) and am only diving in fresh water at shallow depths, and I am still having all these issues. To be fair, the DC800 focusing problems were not even in the water... those cameras simply couldn't take a sharp picture of a cereal box from two feet away... or a car in the parking lot...

When the system works, it takes excellent pictures... it can do just about anything that an "everyday joe" photographer would ever need.

Unfortunately, I have spent more time waiting for some bit or other of the kit to come back from service than I have actually using it.

Just sayin...

That sucks. And for the price, you would expect things to work and work for quite a long time. I just hope my replacement (or the original for that matter) doesn't die on me. I'll be helping with an AOW class this weekend so I'll be snapping away. Let us know how everything works in Kona. Good luck...and let's see some of those pics.

Just had the same "spinning brightness knob" issue this week with the SL961 I got for Christmas.
Just talked to Debbie and will be shipping it ASAP.
I just got back from a week in Destin using it, fortunately, it was somewhat working, but definitely needs to get fixed - first time I've had any real problems. Hopefully can get it or a replacement in time for my trip to the St. Lawrence next weekend.

FWIW, I had my DC1000 Maxx to 105 ft on Saturday and it worked great. Granted, I've only done about a dozen dives with it, but so far so good. Trust me, if it goes toes up, you'll read about it here.

Sabbath, I just sent you a PM with the same question, but I'm diving on the Kona Aggressor 8/1-8/8 (next week). I'm traveling as a single and booked in the quad cabin - until this week Aggressor reservation center told me I have the room to myself until yesterday I heard that another single got booked in there. I don't suppose you're traveling on the Kona Aggressor II are you? And if so, are we roomies?? Is the world that small???? Let me know....

BTW, I just got my strobe for my DC1000 Elite replaced last week, I happened to be on the mainland - Tampa, FL - on business and did some diving with a friend in the Florida Keys when the strobe went bad - lucky I found this out ahead of time! They sent me out a replacement but never did tell me what the definite real problem was, just lots of uncertain guesses. I hope to all hell that it works during my trip - or hey, why not forever since I take such good care of it....right???

Just got my replacement strobe - once again AWESOME customer service from SeaLife. I sent the
strobe Tuesday, got it back Thursday. Brightness knob on this one seems a bit tighter than the first
one ever did.

Off to Brockville, ON for diving and Rib Fest next weekend - we'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom